Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 03-11-2009 , 01:40 PM
I don’t think he is ready, he doesn’t look like a hero yet :bandit:

anyways i got this UV checker from one of the tutorial by gnomonology called "UV Alien Mapping"

will be updating few poses soon, just got to finish with rigging and im starting to hate rigging the hands

anyways i wonder y isnt the challenge forum not so active tho user added image
i hope they are still in {dont leave me alone }user added image

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 47 16-11-2009 , 10:21 AM
Got some time to rig him and all, been working of various type of poses but i decided to stick with this one.

I had cool stand pose and fighting pose, seems to me the fighting pose was a lot better.

The pose I’m posing right now is from a sculpture inside the "Lu Ouver Museum, Paris", it’s such an interesting pose, but sadly i can't recall what the sculpture is named.

Anyways here is an AO render of the pose

C&C are Welcome

user added image

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 48 16-11-2009 , 10:27 AM

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward

Last edited by Lion`I; 16-11-2009 at 02:33 PM.
# 49 16-11-2009 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
it's a nice pose user added image
the armour has turned out really well

i'm having trouble with the righht arm (or it's probably just the angle). it looks awkwardly posed or maybe it's the whole pose, it looks somewhat stiff? maybe it's because he isn't leaning into the strike as agressively as he could be.

maybe what you could do is have the left hand palming off the snake's throat and him aiming to shove the sword into the mouth, like the snake is trying to strike and lee is trying to push it back.
you'll have to lower the snake for that

right now it looks like the left hand is stroking the snake like he's trying to take it in as a pet :p

also the hand should be higher up on the hilt of the sword, not halfway down (i think)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 50 16-11-2009 , 09:25 PM
The thin red line
i agree with Chirone, the only thing is the right shoulder pad, should it bend with the arm or be ridged? does look good overall........dave

# 51 17-11-2009 , 03:21 AM
Chirone: Thank you for ur comment and as usual your comments seems to always make me learn something new user added image anyways i can't agree more with u about the pose, i just roughly made it to see if u guyz liked it, and it seems like u guyz have. so i will work more with it and fix what u have suggested me.

daverave: well at first i was thinking to rig the whole character with all of its armor or just constrain the armor so it doesn’t deform, and i decided to stick with the rigging the whole, because when i started constraining the armor, everything went head wire. so i just made my life easy and just rigged the whole thing. And that’s y the shoulder pad bends, which i think it shouldn’t. oh well back to weight tweaking

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 52 17-11-2009 , 09:24 AM

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 53 18-11-2009 , 07:33 AM
Subscriber
looking better

i wonder if it would look more agressive if you put your camera at a lower angle, kind of looking up at lee

i took your latest picture an kind of mutilated it a bit... hope you dont mind!

whether you go with these ideas or not is up to you, but i thought i'd throw them in user added image

i'm working under the assumption that lee is trying to kill the snake not tame it

1, move the hand up the sword (i suppose it'd kind of confusing as to which direction is up given the way it's facing), or rather closer to the bottom of the blade
i think (might be wrong) when someone holds a sword (or at least when i do) i hold it closer to where i've made the adjustment in the picture. why? because it would give better balance. it's a lot harder to weild a sword that's heavy on one end than balanced.
right now, it looks like he's going to drop it because all the weight is at the blade end of the sword

2, i don't know if this leaning into the strike more would throw him off balance in real life but i think it would make him look like he's going for the killing blow

3, have the sword going aiming into the snake's mouth.
where you have it at the moment would be a fatal strike, but going for the mouth he'll take out the brain and that'll be a definate kill and probably look cooler... or maybe it'll look like the snake is being fed the sword...
alternatively have the sword aimed up a bit higher, not at the head but just below it, giving him a chance to cut the head off

4, raise the hand up towards the bottom of the jaw.
i think if it's too low then the snake can still has a chance of being able to retaliate with it's fangs. in self defence when you get hold of someone's wrist you keep it close to you so you can control it better. i imagine the same principle would work here too
but of course, if you did put the hand up higher then make sure the sword isn't going to strike his hand... that would surely give a terrible outcome!

5, bend in the arm. nothing much else to say on that..

Attached Thumbnails

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 54 19-11-2009 , 03:31 PM
You know what i will go for ur ideas, cuz the sculpture i was following actually wasn’t a person holding a sword but a stone so his body was much more like the way i was doing it, but with ur way its more for a person with a sword :attn:

here is the sculpture:

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...plture01-1.jpg

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...cuplture02.jpg

so anyways speaking of what ive done, well i pretty much just listen 2 wat u said and followed it. so THANK YOU so much

Here are 4 pictures of him with different camera angles.

Please do help me choose which camera I should go for

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/.../SMC_Lee29.jpg

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/.../SMC_Lee30.jpg

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/.../SMC_Lee31.jpg

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/.../SMC_Lee32.jpg

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 55 19-11-2009 , 05:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
I like the first angle... you could even bring it a tad to the right so it's a bit more like the last one, but excellent work.

# 56 19-11-2009 , 05:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by Lion`I

i hope they are still in {dont leave me alone }user added image

Im still in, but by the looks of your work I may as well not be user added image

# 57 19-11-2009 , 05:37 PM
The Nurb Herd
i know this is really late in the day but i think the hands and feet look small, sorry maybe its just me.

I think the pose is pretty cool. just wondering how much more work you are going to put into the snake? if its the focal point it should be as detailed as the guy... imo.

i was also wondering about the guys name... i've never met a japanese man called lee! user added image
EDIT** he's a white guy... I checked the first post.

good luck with the texturing, this is getting pretty far on and it will look great when you are finished.

...i need to get my ass in gear!

Last edited by honestdom; 19-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.
# 58 19-11-2009 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
I like the first angle... you could even bring it a tad to the right so it's a bit more like the last one, but excellent work.

i second this! maybe have a similar shot to your first reference?

looks like some great changes you've made!
looking really cool!

# 59 20-11-2009 , 03:45 AM
Thank You all for your critics and comments.

If it wasn’t for u guys i wouldn’t have gone this far user added image

stwert: got 2 agree with u, the first angle seems like the way 2 go, and i'll surely choose it

elephantinc: your starting to sound like me before i entered but i pushed myself, u should see what i said on tweetytunes post, i said exactly wat u said. so just keep going and from the looks of it, ppl on this Site seem to be very helpful in all kinds of ways.

hammer.horror: u know it’s not that late, i can still enlarge the hands and feet and i did notice this problem when i was putting Lee's hands around the snake so i don’t disagree with u about it. Speaking of the snake well Geometry wise it will stay like that, normals wise i think it will go beyond detail with its skin (hope i have enough time). Anyways it would be really nice to see u back and rolling user added image

Chirone: if it wasn’t with ur great guidance from the start towards this project, it wouldn’t have gone this far. :bow: and yeah i will work on that angle, it seems cool but i don’t why i couldn’t get it like the reference. i'll go and try again

Alright back to working on it, since it seems like its on the right track, then i guess its time to take it to ZBrush to put the Normals on it

Cheers to all of u user added image

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 60 22-11-2009 , 01:28 PM