Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 09-12-2010 , 10:38 PM

Environment

Heres my final render for my assignment at uni, I know it could of been tweaked to death but I ran out of time for it lol hope you like it user added image

Camrat

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-12-2010 , 11:08 AM
The Nurb Herd
pretty cool man, but it looks like the textures are a little washed out. did you gamma correct them?

# 3 10-12-2010 , 11:24 AM
Subscriber
Quite cool - a couple of scale issues as well washing out of textures

the top of your lamp-posts looks almost as big as the phonebox (going by the closest one to it) then the traffic cones look too small

But for the poly counts - nice models

# 4 10-12-2010 , 03:20 PM
Yeah I know its washed out I simply ran out of time for the assignment user added image and yeah i see the scaling issue now and tbh I completely missed that I was trying my best with the scaling as well lol, its my first environment ive done so im pleased user added image the reason for washing as well is the lighting it to bright

# 5 10-12-2010 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
I always use a cube - the size of a man to compare the other objects too - something I picked up in uni and still use now

# 6 10-12-2010 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
Aside from what everyone else has already pointed out, it looks pretty cool. Good job on your first environment.

# 7 14-12-2010 , 10:23 AM
hi - what lighting did you use to light the seen?

Graham

# 8 14-12-2010 , 10:56 AM
Lifetime Member
despite the flaws that have been pointed out mate...well done!! it will also add to your training...keep on it mate.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 14-12-2010 , 12:09 PM
The Nurb Herd

hi - what lighting did you use to light the seen?

Graham

looks like physical sun and sky to me.

# 10 14-12-2010 , 12:15 PM
Sorry for late reply user added image and yeah it was Hone, it was easiest for me to start with and get a decent render, i tried changing settings but to no end user added image

# 11 22-01-2011 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
great job! did this come from imagination or did you use reference? Background, is that part of the scene <modeled as well> background image?

I really like your texturing job, but as previously said before. They are washed out and some are too light.

Speaking of light. I think the shadows and lighting are very ideal for the scene and because it also matches your background image shadows.

Agreed with the others. Light Posts are exaggerated quit a bit in size compared to the tele booth.

But nice job on the bump mapping of the building.

Did you make these textures or cheat? user added image by downloading them elsewhere and using them?

I enjoy the scene it could be better, but hey we are always learning right?

keep it up and keep this scene for later use.

# 12 22-01-2011 , 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
The scene looks pretty nice. As Tweety mentioned there are some scale issues. And if you did use the physical sky setup then you will run into gamma woes. The lighting isn't too bright, your textures/colors just got struck by the gamma bandit.

- Genny
# 13 22-01-2011 , 10:06 AM
Thanks or the comments Ataraxy, GecT, Yeah im aware of the lighting and scaling issues never got round to changing them, this was a project for uni, (texturing project) so my main focus was to get the texturing done (my first textured scene ive ever done lol) The castle is just a picture i didn't have time to model it and texture it and the light direction was meant to follow the picture or it would look daft having to different shadow directions hehe, some textures was hand made some was from internet. its meant for a game aswell so lighting would usually be done within and engine instead of mental ray but still rusty on the engine so could get a final image from udk lol this will probs explain the low poly , we only had a budget of 6000 tris for unique objects within the scene, so the duplicates don't count hehe. again thanks for the comments im really pleased you said my texturing was good as it was a texturing project hehe, also its from my head i got a few reference images to look at for different buildings but its all eyeballing and im guessing thats why my scaling is off lol

Camrat

Last edited by Camrat; 22-01-2011 at 10:09 AM.
# 14 04-02-2011 , 10:09 AM

great!

Very good!

The lighting is great! Actually i´m trying to master lighting properties of maya, but i´m far from this kind of work. The only thing i find in your image is a big contrast between the foreground and the background image. But it´s great man!user added image

# 15 18-04-2011 , 07:19 AM
If you add some dirt maps on Road and at the end of the walls it will look more real.some more depth n lil bit less illumination..