Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-04-2011 , 07:53 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

April Challenge_Low PolyCharacter_Mastone

Hi Guys

Since characters are right up my alley, I think I will join this one.
I am quite baffled that no one has used this character before, I think I will do a hyperreal version op Mario ( and maybe yoshi).
I will start it once I get home

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-04-2011 , 12:29 PM
Lifetime Member
Good luck with that mastone LOL...I dont know Mario but my son Loki knows him and his mates like the back of his hand...so if I dont undestand soemthing about your model I will ask him...smartest 7 year old in his class...and also the best imagination I think...good luck mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 05-04-2011 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
Yeah! Love mario & Yoshi user added image Played a lot mario in my childhood user added image Nice Memories.

# 4 05-04-2011 , 04:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hyperreal version, eh? Remember it's gotta be low poly... are you planning to use zbrush?

# 5 05-04-2011 , 04:52 PM
@Bullet:
Don't know Mario.....that's blasphemy...LOL

@Joey:
Nice Memories.....really? I only remember annoyance and throwing controllers against the wall user added image

@stwert:
I know but 16.000 quads won't be a problem, if Jay gave only a 4000 polycount I would have been in trouble ( or just made a reall ugly normalmap user added image) )

# 6 05-04-2011 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
I'm a quiet relaxed. no problem 4 me user added image I saw Some Super Mario World lvls on youtube. Impossible difficulty user added image a guy (expert player) giive like 200 tries user added image
I 'm not sure if i'm allowed to post youtube vid user added image
.com/watch?v=VnWot7bX-_c
check it. Insane!!!! & only the 1st lvl user added image

# 7 10-04-2011 , 09:57 PM
Hi Joey

Well I am not that patient and games back then where sometimes so annoying ( I still remember a time in Mariokart-SNES version-when I had Bowser and got bumped of the road by Koopa troopa, which if you know the game was downright impossible to do )..
Well I didn't have much time to mess around with this but managed to get a decent basemesh for the head and took it in Zbrush for some lookdevelopment and really did some loose strokes to get a bit of a feel.
I am really going for a nitty gritty look here, I probably don't have time for a yoshi but I rather make one good thing than 4 things only half way

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 10-04-2011 , 11:20 PM
Lifetime Member
no...no Mario for me...hated the game with a passion...my son on the other hand ZLOVES him....obviously we dont see eye to eye LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 11-04-2011 , 12:15 AM
Administrator
Finally yippee! I've been waiting since this challenge started for someone to do something on Mario or Yoshi user added image

SNES mariocart was the best game ever, I got pushed in the lava by koopa troopa as well so that one just made me laugh he was sooooo annoying that guy.

Nilla

# 10 11-04-2011 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber
That looks awesome Mastone! Also as an aside that looks eerily like one of the owners of a local pizzeria near where I went to college. Seeing these kind of things in Zbrush makes me wish I had the confidence to start taking a crack at the copy of Mudbox I have. Looking forward to seeing your results. I loved Mario he was seconded only by Mega Man as my all time favorite game characters of the old systems.

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 11 11-04-2011 , 12:44 PM
@joey:
try this Mario level YouTube - worlds hardest mario level no lie

@bullet1968:
Don't know how old your kid is but maybe smack him around alot with a Mario game, he" ll learn to hate it then LOL

@Miss_Nova:
So you experienced the same as I did and yes I think Mariokart was one of the best games ever on the snes the later incarnations sucked ( mariokart 64) or at least lacked the brilliance the original had ( I actually still have the supernintendo with that game LOL)

@CGWolfgang:
Thanks, and regarding starting to sculpt, just start, you"ll only learn by doing stuff, I would start with something simple like a hammer so it's manageable and build up from there

# 12 11-04-2011 , 01:02 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL well he is 7 and with a name like Loki..I aint messin with the boy LOL

bullet1968

# 13 11-04-2011 , 04:27 PM
Well name one of your fists Shiva, that god is higher on thee foodchain LOL

# 14 11-04-2011 , 09:03 PM
Have been fiddling with the face again ( and some more stuff like roughing in the overall shape of the body so I can tailor clothes on him with some reference).
Although the first one had a more italian look this one resembles Mario as a character more .

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 11-04-2011 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
Im sorry but its making me laugh - hes looking like indy - mr frods next film mario 2 "needs more coins"