Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-03-2003 , 09:10 AM

fire is too bright

im pretty new to the whole dynamics thing so im using presets..

I created some text with flames coming out of it.

problem..

fire is too bright and takes away form the text...you can see that in the attachment

i want to know how to turn it down?

any help is greatly appreciated

VAMPS

# 2 26-03-2003 , 10:16 AM
You could render the particles and geometry in seperate passes, and then turn down the flames in a compositing program like shake or after effects.

You could also turn down the glow on the particles, but you will have greater control of it if you use the first method.

Good luck.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 3 26-03-2003 , 11:00 AM
ok...how do i actually turn down the glow on the particles...

remember i am a newbie user added image

# 4 26-03-2003 , 01:43 PM
If you open up your hypershade (Shift+T) and open up the attribute editor for the material used for the flames, under the special effects section there is a slider you use to control glow intensity. I think that's what you're after.

# 5 26-03-2003 , 06:08 PM
exactly as Gekko said .. If your not satisfied with the glow after you do the above step, then you can change the shader called "shader glow", but you should be aware that it will change the general look of ALL glows in a scene and not only the glow of your fire..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 6 26-03-2003 , 11:51 PM
thanx for the tip..im not quite sure wha sharder maya create when you use the create fire effect button in the dynamics shelf..

any ideas?

# 7 27-03-2003 , 07:20 AM
You can select the particles of the fire, and go to the attribute editor (ctrl+A) then look at the tabs, there should be one of the tabs to the outmost right that have your shader info, find glow under special effects I think it is..

you could also go into Hypershade, select your fire, in hypershade find the option to select shader assigned to selected object. Then Maya will highlight the shader that is assigned to your fire object. Double click it and the Attribute editor will open. there you should be able to find the glow attributes under special effects ..

have fun user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 8 27-03-2003 , 08:38 AM
damn cant seem to find the show selected option..

but i do understand what u mean..thanks