Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-02-2008 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber

Chips and Cards

Hello folks!

Ive seen a couple of poker chips on here and i thought it would be a good exercise to help with texturing so here is what ive done.... Its taken me about 4 hours.

Only a few little errors such as some warping on the cards and a few pixels stray but mostly its fine... the black and green chips are spot on! This is only my 2nd time texturing so be gentle!! haha

user added image

Oh thought i would add that yes i know 4 hours.... this seems like a long time for me to do such a simple thing if i did it again i guess it would only take about 2.... but i was trying to remember where things were and lots of playing was done!

Last edited by bigtommyb; 10-02-2008 at 09:29 AM.
# 2 10-02-2008 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
The piece in its entirety looks good, and your texture work is good. however, I think the chip in the foreground is a little too large in relation to the cards and try turning down the card's bump map a little more cause it looks too rough.
Now its time to try your hand at something harder.
user added image

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 10-02-2008 at 12:27 PM.
# 3 17-02-2008 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
I think this is a great beginning. I think it would be best to work with lighting, shadows, shaders, specular, bump maps and your raytracing. Looks like you got the hang on texturing. Have you worked in Mental ray before?

# 4 17-02-2008 , 02:26 PM
it's a shame i can't see files from image sharing sites, i'd love to see this render...

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 18-02-2008 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
No ive not used mental ray at all! i think thats my next step... i will look at a few tutorials and see what i can come up with...

Thanks for the feedback will post a new render after ive had more of a play with mental ray.

# 6 18-02-2008 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
Ok just had a little play with Mental Ray and this is what ive come up with... it may still look bright but its because the computer im doing it on is really dim so its hard to judge the right levels.... Any how its now got depth of field and shadows.... ive used ray traced i dont know what is better or anything like i said i had a little play but i think it looks better.

user added image

Any help is much appreciated and i dont think i will do any more work with this one maybe a few more little plays with lighting and the different Mental Ray settings to see what happens, but dont expect any more posts on this one.

T

# 7 20-02-2008 , 01:26 AM
ooooh i can see it now! user added image

only suggestion i'd have to make is change the reflectivity levels of the felt. it doesn't reflect.

otherwise, you've done a decent job.

Accept no substitutions.
# 8 20-02-2008 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
Thanks! The surface actually has nothing done to it at all except a colored blinn.... how would i go about making a felt look? although i do quite like the reflection....

Just got the latest 3d world magazine and the dinosaur tut is amazing i think i will give something similar a go say a little monster or something... will do a new thread when i make a start user added image