Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-08-2008 , 06:31 AM
Subscriber

movie theater

This is another project I have been working on. I have the lighting like I want it, but now I am trying to figure out the best way to populate the theater with people without crashing my system. Any suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-08-2008 , 06:48 AM
looks good - those curtains look a little flat though. and why do they go behind the screen at the top and bottom?

also - the walls look a little empty - might be nice to get some art deco looking lamps on them and maybe add some other details as well.

you should also stagger the heights of the seats - you don't really get seats all on the same level in a cinema.

as for populating the theater you could maybe use instances? or just put a really crappy film on the screen - so that it doesn't matter that it looks so deserted. user added image

last, let's get some trash in there - lots of it - i've never gone to a cinema that didn't have a shed load of trash on the floor! user added image

Last edited by arran; 04-08-2008 at 06:51 AM.
# 3 04-08-2008 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
hehe, this seems quite funny....

your other WIP is a room at night and Mirek didn't like how it was so dark, and now you got movie theatre which looks like it has too much light! :p

you could use the billboard strategy... just texture on the backs of people to some poly planes and duplicate them over

when i made a crowd for an earlier project i just made a real low poly sphere with a real low poly cylinder for the body and lofted some arms so the cowd was holding up their arms cheering.

you could just make some spheres and modify another to make it look like hair

arran posted just as i was typing my reply :p
come to think of it, why is the floor horizontal? someone who's tall and in front of me will be blocking my view!

you need a door at the front too, one that says exit, because don't theatres have to have at least two exits incase of a fire? one at front and back?
i dunno...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 04-08-2008 at 06:52 AM.
# 4 04-08-2008 , 03:06 PM
three words: stadium style seating.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 04-08-2008 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
Create a particle grid so that each particle sits where the seats are and use sprites of the back of people's heads to populate the room.

Chris

# 6 04-08-2008 , 11:52 PM
I also think that the cinema room light is too high. lower it down a bit.

The next point is, I think the the seat at the left and right corner in the front have a too low range of viewing the movie. So the movie wall must be a little bit larger.

# 7 05-08-2008 , 04:00 AM
Subscriber
after all the comments I think I will change it to stadium style seating. Thanks for the crits guys. I have one more project I will be posting and I look foward to your crits.

# 8 05-08-2008 , 02:31 PM
nice but the curtain needs to have more wrinkles and doesn't cinema have Lamp at the ceiling?
Btw whats your laptop specification?

# 9 05-08-2008 , 08:37 PM
hehe user added image sorry man i confused u with another person sorry user added image

# 10 07-08-2008 , 02:48 AM
Hmm looks good. How about some speakers, though?

# 11 07-08-2008 , 03:26 AM
Subscriber
speakers? do movie theatres have speakers visible? i can't remember....

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 07-08-2008 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
speakers? do movie theatres have speakers visible? i can't remember....

All the ones where I live do. And a bunch of wall sconces too.
As for the ceiling, you might want to break it up and add some angles, as the acoustics of flat surfaces, well they suck. That is partially why the floors are angled too, although it helps with the viewability of the theater.
Lights on the edges of the aisles might be good too.

Keep at it man!

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 13 07-08-2008 , 08:30 AM

Originally posted by arran
as for populating the theater you could maybe use instances? or just put a really crappy film on the screen - so that it doesn't matter that it looks so deserted. user added image

That pic is from a crappy film isn't it? hahaha!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle