Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-06-2009 , 09:10 PM

Glass Condensation ...

What is the best way to produce condensation on glass? Can it be animated? I have a clients beer bottle and glass that need that cold frosty look. I'll deal with the foam head on the glass later. Any tips would be much apprecited.

# 2 11-06-2009 , 11:56 AM
without more inforrmation, it's difficult to say. for starters, how close are you to the glass? and why do you need to animate the condensation? - you don't usually see condensation moving...

# 3 11-06-2009 , 03:43 PM

Glass Condensation ...

This is for a presentation for a global glass manufacturer. The two main objects are a glass and beer bottle on a countertop. Both objects will contain liquid. The glass filled with beer and a foam head, the bottle filled with beer. The animation will start with a extreme close-up of the bottles label and as you pan back the full view reveals both objects from about one foot away. Its a simple animation that achieves most of its impact from camera angles and creative lighting effects. Part of the overall effect I hoped to convey was through the use of the foam and dripping condensation on the bottle. Kind of like drawing on a steamed mirror and seeing the condensation run (drip) down the glass. They want it to look as though you just took a cold beer out of the refrigerator on a hot day.

# 4 11-06-2009 , 05:03 PM

Glass Condensation ...

ARRAN, here is a still render for approximate size and distance. No final lighting, caustics, dynamics, or any other effects. Also, the liquids have not yet been applied to the animation.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 11-06-2009 , 08:44 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Maybe this is to simple but you could make some actual condensationdrops from geometry and aplly a waterdrop shader to it
You can also emit particles from the glass driven by an animated texture

Edit; Nice render btw user added image

# 6 11-06-2009 , 09:33 PM

Glass Condensation ...

That's interesting. However, I'm running Maya 2009 Complete. Is your method possible with complete or do I need unlimited? Also, I'm on a Mac Pro. Counting the days to the 64 bit "Snow Leopard" release. My life will be a whole lot easier.
Appreciate the compliment too!

# 7 11-06-2009 , 09:48 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 11-06-2009 , 09:52 PM

Glass Condensation ...

Thanks. I'm on it. Will post my progress.

# 9 13-06-2009 , 02:42 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I do believe Maya Complete has regular particles in which case you can do it.
The things Next design posted are a tad easier though user added image