Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 17-09-2007 , 05:09 AM
Subscriber
Hey looking really nice especially the way the mesh flows! looking forward to seeing it textured.

converting to nurbs can be good for avoiding the time needed to UV map but have you tried projection mapping? Especially for some of the smaller parts, I think you'll get some nice results from building your shading network up in the hypershade using layer textures and projections (set to triPlanar) and if needed you can always convert to a file texture if render time (reading all those nodes) becomes an issue. Its not everyones prefered technique but it works well in some cases user added image

Keep it up

J.

# 32 17-09-2007 , 06:31 AM
Subscriber

Hi there

Nice work.
Last year I took the same tut. That was then my first ever model.
Never got to texture it, seen the busy workflow here at the office.
Rendered some occlusions, for me that is always the coolest :-)
Here are some pics of what I came up with.
in the end it always comes down to personalisation

Anyhow, can't wait to see it renderen

Keep up the good work.
If you're going to rig it and animate.... That would be awesome!!

GR
M

Attached Thumbnails

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !
# 33 17-09-2007 , 06:32 AM
Subscriber

And...

...the front side.
user added image

Hope you like it!

Attached Thumbnails

Always up for a chat !
# 34 17-09-2007 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
The modeling is perfect! no comments there!!!

However, and this is just a minor issue offcourse, the gatlings will always be pointed in the same direction as the big guns.
Due to their placement their rotation circle is very small.

If a target could be taken out by the gatlings, you wouldnt need the big guns, and if a target was to be taken out by the big guns, chances are the gatlings are not very effective against it.

A little suggestion, please take no offence, replace the gatlings with missile racks, and mount the gatlings underneath the torso on a turret.

That way the gatlings can sweep out the lighter units in front of the mech, while the big guns are aimed at that enemy armor, with missiles ready if it should prove insufficient.

In ICT there are two kinds of people : Technically challenged artists, and artistically challenged technicians.

I am, without a doubt, the latter.
- Dave
# 35 17-09-2007 , 03:59 PM
Jr.Who
Thanks, cut_the_krab. Nice model, I really like those fans in the back. I don’t know if I’ll animate it, but I’ll try my best to rig it.
user added image

Thanks, DDSilver. I have 2 comebacks for you:
1. What happens when the big guns run out of ammo?
2. Who the crap wouldn’t want gatling guns?

Anyway, almost another hour and a half of work. My schedule‘s been going crazy with school, some yard work for someone, etc., and I hope to finish texturing this by the deadline I made myself (October 2).

First, here’s a pic of the UVs for the main part:

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 17-09-2007 , 04:00 PM
Jr.Who
Here’s a pic of the work I did today. I almost have all of the leg done.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 17-09-2007 , 04:02 PM
Jr.Who
And here’s the UVs for the leg:

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 17-09-2007 , 10:31 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jr.Who

Thanks, DDSilver. I have 2 comebacks for you:
1. What happens when the big guns run out of ammo?
2. Who the crap wouldn’t want gatling guns?

[/B]

Well, its not that I comment on having gatling guns, its their location user added image

And what happens when the big guns run out of ammo? someone at supplies will get fired I wager user added image

If you look at Modern day heavy armor, you will see that their light weapons can move completely independant from the main gun. They can point in the same direction but dont have to...

Military vehicels are a hobby of mine... I guess thats why it just looked a little odd to me.

In ICT there are two kinds of people : Technically challenged artists, and artistically challenged technicians.

I am, without a doubt, the latter.
- Dave
# 39 20-09-2007 , 07:34 AM
Jr.Who
Within the past 2 days I’ve gotten almost 3 hours of work done on it. This is reminding me how much I suck at UV mapping……

Anyway, I’ll just post all the UV snapshots and stuff when I’m completely finished with it. I’ve only got a couple more things left to map.

Here’s a pic of all the things that are mapped:

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 20-09-2007 , 07:48 AM
it looks like youve still got a bit of stretching on the main body on the extruded bits, it probably wont matter unless your going to make a rusted look to it.

I probably would planar map the whole extrude then select the UV's then scale them up to match.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 41 23-09-2007 , 02:32 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
it looks like youve still got a bit of stretching on the main body on the extruded bits, it probably wont matter unless your going to make a rusted look to it.

I probably would planar map the whole extrude then select the UV's then scale them up to match.

Thanks for the advice. I fixed a couple of the spots, but I’m not too worried about them. I’ll just have to be careful with the brush around those areas user added image .

After the last 2 days I’ve spent about 2 hours on it, messing around with the UVs.

Here’s the pic of everything:

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Jr.Who; 24-09-2007 at 10:43 PM.
# 42 23-09-2007 , 02:33 AM
Jr.Who
Here’s a UV map of the body, the guns, and some other things:

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 23-09-2007 , 02:36 AM
Jr.Who
And here’s a UV map of the leg, the thing in the middle (that the body’s connected to), and more little things:

Now, on to the fun stuff!! :attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 24-09-2007 , 12:32 AM
Jr.Who
Man, it feels good to get away from UV mapping, and start doing something fun again!

I spent about an hour of work on it today. I‘m going for a snow camo look (like in the BF 2142 trailer).

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 24-09-2007 , 03:17 AM
Subscriber

Ho Ho Ho

Santa's Mach Machine
Cool shit dude

Smooth it maybe?

Keep up the good work

GR
M

:attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: