Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-10-2007 , 03:16 AM

Speeding Maya up?

Maya is being rather slow for me at the moment.

The model I'm working on has 92,000 polygons (rounded up), which I'm pretty sure I've exceeded with previous models, but without the slow down.

I know in Photoshop you can assign a certain amount of memory to be used by it, but I haven't seen anything like that in Maya.

Is there such a thing?

Or will increasing the priority of Maya in the Task Manager help?

# 2 29-10-2007 , 06:26 AM
I think increasing the priority in the task manager only increased the amount of time your CPU dedicates to Maya, not the memory. 92,000 polys is a lot, what are you making?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 29-10-2007 , 11:11 AM
I'm making a Barret M98. It's in the WIP section.

# 4 29-10-2007 , 02:24 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I think you could optimize your scene, by deleting history etc.
I have a particular scene where i have almost a miljon poly's in my scene and when i turn on the instances in the scene i have around the 50 miljon poly's, and still have a reasonable performance in the viewport.
I have a radeon x1950xtx 512 mb card (which i want to softmod into a firegl when i figure out how), so it's not exactly a high-end open GL card....

# 5 29-10-2007 , 07:28 PM
I usually delete history, unless I smooth something I might want to return to its normal state.

My graphics card is a 256 MB though.

# 6 02-11-2007 , 06:32 AM
maybe try deleting blindNodes by showing all input and output connections in the hypergraph.

maybe you checked high quality rendering in the viewport. in combination with good textures that slows down your machine drastically.

if none of all helps export your model into a new scene. mb should do it, but you might also try an obj or fbx file.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 7 04-11-2007 , 05:55 AM
Moving your camera while in wireframe makes things move quicker. Also, running Maya alone makes the program work faster.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman