Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 15-04-2008 , 03:36 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
lookin good
still about 2 dimensional though

# 47 15-04-2008 , 05:52 AM
This would be a good candidate for displacements.

# 48 17-04-2008 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Guys, i think ive already overdone this model cause its only supposed to be for the very long appraoch shots, there will be an intermediate model for the final approach, just a section of the sphere, then the rest will be surfaces..

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 18-04-2008 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber
Approach Shot with shadow painted in as part of the texture

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 18-04-2008 , 10:06 AM
so you've basically got 3 different models of the death star for 3 different distances from it... the last render works really well, but i think you'd be able to see SOME of that detail on the far off death star model. not nearly as easy to see, but the even the ever-so-slight subtlety of shadows showing depth would make it appear all the more realistic.

oh and the close-up for the actual run is just insanely awesome.

Accept no substitutions.
# 51 18-04-2008 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
Cheers, i think your right, i coudnt resist a quick dirty render

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 18-04-2008 , 05:23 PM
ho ho - this is looking mad - nice going paldav. user added image

definitely agree with neo though - we need more detail and bump on the far shots.

# 53 23-04-2008 , 06:54 AM
Subscriber
I took time off the death star to double check the proportions of some of the models, i did this by eye using screen caps, and the x wing fuselage turned out to be too slim, so i ended up rebuilding then retexturing it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 03-05-2008 , 11:58 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Great models and texturing there mate, i have one question though how do you know how it has to look, i mean the detailing, or are you just winging the details?
looks greatuser added image

# 55 04-05-2008 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
when ive got the basic model done, i simply get as mutch refference as i can, but i tend to pick and choose what i add, generally i go back to them a fair bit tweaking things, or i see a detail i had completly missed or got wrong, usualy when ithink ive finished i havnt..i noticed the thrusters werent right and that was 2 weeks after i thought i had done

Attached Thumbnails
# 56 06-05-2008 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
Started on the Xwing cockpit, so i can have an on board shot down the trench etc, basic wires..

Attached Thumbnails
# 57 06-05-2008 , 07:50 AM
Senior Software Developer
GZ on a job well done so far :attn:

Have you used the blueprints to create these models?

The textures are very good and watch for the shine off of these materials, as Jay pointed out a while back. These ships are very matt based and have very little to zero reflection...

As for lighting you need to able to light the scene, but remember its space so there is very little surfaces for light to bounce off of as most light reflected will only refract once and then disappear off into space. There will only ever be one light source too, the nearest sun, but the light from that in the trench render looks a little over bright, but not by much.

You have done a great job so far and I love being inspired by other artists, and it make me wanna go back and texture my LandSpeeder...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 58 06-05-2008 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
Cheers mate

i do use the blue prints, surland.com etc, but good ones are hard to find, and some are more interpreted than others, whatever blue prints are used i find it best to collect lots of reference then tweak the model by eye afterwards.

You are correct about the lighting. Star wars is quite a lot darker than i seem to remember when i go back to it now, however they do cheat like mad, and there is bounced light everywhere! Still its going to be a tricky ballance to strike between the look of the film and realism, thanks for the comments.

# 59 08-05-2008 , 09:18 AM
Wow! very nice detailed models! I'm also doing a star wars kinda video but mines taking place during the third movie. Only my ships are around maybe 12,000 polys at the most and look pretty bad compared to yours. I dont think my computer could even handle the amount of polys you'll be using.
Anyway, great job again with all the models, cant wait to see it complete!!:attn:

# 60 08-05-2008 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments

The models i have built so far this project are not realy all that heavy, and i havnt modelled them with smoothing in mind, but i have been using larger textures 2048.