Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 16-04-2009 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber
Dango, one of the best tools I believe I have is a plugin for Photoshop that is free from Nvidia. If you do a search in goggle for nvidia and normal map you will find it. It will make a normal map out of about anything. I would not be without it. But, with normal maps your computer will slow very fast as you start to use them. Use them very sparingly. If you need some guidance I will help!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 17 16-04-2009 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
yep that the MF alright - looking spot on well done

# 18 16-04-2009 , 07:49 PM
Thanks Tom, I'll do that at some point! I'll PM you if have any questions about it (if that's ok?) Thanks for the info!

# 19 16-04-2009 , 08:53 PM
The Nurb Herd
there is also a program called crazy bump which is very good/simple

# 20 16-04-2009 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
I love crazy bump - I`m lucky still got the beta and if you cancel the update you can still use it hehe.

But it sooooo worth the money.

# 21 16-04-2009 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
Thank you tweetytunes, and again congratulations or your nice project and win. Nice job indeed!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 22 21-04-2009 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
I wanted to post an update of my project, and say sorry it has been so long. I have really (REALLY) dreaded, doing the steel plating on the saucer part. I did not have a clue when I started the project how I would do it. A couple of days of figuring it out and modeling it. Just glad it is over, because I was worried I wouldn't ever get it. Still need to do the back, but had alot of practice! ;-)

Need to do some things on the docking bays, finish the radar brackets, and do the plating on the cockpit (or bridge), and should be ready to start on the back of the ship. I do hope everyone is well and enjoying their projects!! Really some nice stuff being done!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 21-04-2009 , 01:52 AM
Wow!
Looking very nice Tom, those plates must have taken forever to do! As you said you've had the practice at them now so hopefully the back ones shouldn't take so long.
If you get the time will you do a blast damage/dirt map for it?

I'm sure it'll look good whatever you decide anyway, I'll look forward to seeing it!

# 24 21-04-2009 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber
Morning Dango! Well I am not going to model any damage to the ship, but I am hoping when I start texturing that it will look like it has been through alot. But that may be a wishful thinking. But plan on giving it a shot!!

I am glad you like the work I am doing! Thanks!!

# 25 21-04-2009 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber
i'm impressed with what you've done so far. The ship is looking awesome! i think you're heading on the right lines with a warn and used look with your textures. It should look amazing when finished.
Keep up the good work.

View my Portfolio at
https://whyte.cgsociety.org
# 26 21-04-2009 , 11:41 PM
Subscriber
Thank you very much Whyte! I do appreciate it. It can be said that the Falcon was not the prettiest ship in the fleet by any means, or the best maintained. Hope I can keep that spirit with it.

# 27 25-04-2009 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
Good evening! Again wanted top post an update and it has been too long. I have still been working on the metal plates, and just now finished. I have some tweaking to do as you can see. This area with the plating is 2/3 or more of the ship. I felt if I didn't spend some time here that the texturing would be of no avail. Not that I mean I had done that kind of job, but I wanted it to be as good as I can do. I can leave the tweaking for now as I have alot to do in the back and the clock is ticking. But I am having alot of fun with this!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 28-04-2009 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
Good evening!! Got quite a bit modeled on the back, but a lot to go. I really want to be done with the modeling by Friday, as that is that first. Had hoped to be done with it by then. I am making headway, and should be ok.

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 28-04-2009 , 05:29 PM
Looking good Tom!
You are doing the Falcon proud, hope you manage to get the modeling done by your target date, and can't wait to see it all textured up!

# 30 28-04-2009 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Dango. I am pleased you feel I am doing it justice and I am trying hard to keep it that way.