Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 11-07-2009 , 09:38 AM
You simply could make "skin" look from selecting alpha and adding to his surface with drag option... And i think that will add him more organic look. Try it ! some alphas are on pixological site.

Gj keep it on !

# 32 12-07-2009 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by hammer.horror
i think to avoid the "drippy waxy candle" look you should build up large detail from lower subdivisions. I'm by no means am an expert, so some more experienced zbrushers might be able to confirm or correct what i'm saying.

i thought he was doing that on purpose...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 33 13-07-2009 , 04:20 PM
Subscriber
thaks again for your comments.

Im doing what I see in the tutorial, but the Hammer tip is very welcome as Im not happy with the inorganic looking it has.

Because the model is very symmetrical, I have changed it in maya with a latice, rotating and moving the head and also moving some vertex.

What Coldwave says I think is what i was practising yesterday using the proyection master to texture the model, or perhaps you mean polypainting.Thats not the tutorial way but i may end using this method. Thank you very much for your tip.

Here is how it looks in maya after the normal map + cavity map.

Attached Images

Last edited by taquion; 15-07-2009 at 10:41 AM.
# 34 13-07-2009 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
In the neck the cavity map is working fine, but in the areas that i have smoothed is making an effect i dont like.

So i think im leaving the tutorial and apply a fractal to map the color, and inside the fractal, map the color with a sking picture. Other alternative is using a fast skin shader, but the result i get is also waxy, so, i keep experimentig.

Last edited by taquion; 15-07-2009 at 12:29 AM.
# 35 13-07-2009 , 05:43 PM
Good progress and yeah that's what i mean by my tip.
Go experiment and it will come very well!!!
KUTGW

# 36 15-07-2009 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
Thanks coldwave.

After a few experiments i got lost between the sea of menus and options that maya is , and i went back to the steps of the tutorial.

Here is a comparison with the original model and the model in maya after the normal and cavity maps

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by taquion; 15-07-2009 at 10:25 PM.
# 37 15-07-2009 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
another one in maya

Attached Images
# 38 15-07-2009 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
And here a render with an hdr picture as enviromental lighting + a spot light.
I have also mapped the reflectivity of the blin material with a ramp to make lower the reflections that face the camera, and higher the ones facing other directions ( another tutorial step).A sampler info utility has to be connected to the ramp v coordinate via the facing ratio attribute.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by taquion; 27-07-2009 at 01:30 AM.
# 39 15-07-2009 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
your villain in made from melted chrome?

i'm curious, what is this tutorial you're following?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 40 15-07-2009 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
It is a gnomon tut, the making of fume.

I hope its not made of chrome, but the aliens made a body for him capable of surviving during a few hours in a methane enviroment like that of titan. So, the body can look anything.

In fact, i was planning to make my final picture located in the titan surface.

Last edited by taquion; 15-07-2009 at 01:00 AM.
# 41 15-07-2009 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
And here is the guy in titan thanks to photoshop

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 16-07-2009 , 08:19 AM
looks great user added image

Is he going to have a body?

# 43 17-07-2009 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
Thank you speedy.

Not going for the body, but perhaps some aditional parts like some kind of suit.

And then cames the funniest part of the tutorial.

I have to make photopraphs of smoke to add it to the picture and simulate methane vapor, so im going to burn some papers and hope the neighbours dont call the firemen.

# 44 28-07-2009 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
Finally I failed with the smoke photograps because they need a black no reflective background to make them blend well with the other layers.

Fortunately there was many free in the net and Im using some of them.

I have changed the reflectivity of the body material to give him a damp aspect. It has a ramp so that the head is not as reflective as the chest.

the smoke layers are added and blended in photoshop using the lighten blending mode.

This may be my final picture but probably ill change it before the end. I want to add some nuclear explosions in the background and im considering to learn how to make them in maya with emiters rather than painting in PS. Also, I would probably add some more layers to integrate all.

And perhaps aliens eyes instead of human.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by taquion; 28-07-2009 at 04:57 PM.
# 45 03-08-2009 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
I have made a few cloudy backgrounds in terragen ( so easy)
to try them and see how they work.

here 2 of them

Attached Images