Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-01-2003 , 04:34 PM
Kevin

Kevs Dino

Ok ...I had better post this in wip as I will never ever finish it! This way hopefully you guys can nag me until its done!

right Bit of nurbs first to rough out the shape, then convert to polys and start pulling!!

# 2 30-01-2003 , 04:37 PM
Kevin
OK... right -- decided now that I would like a body on me dino so same again, nurbs - convert polys - then added a little drool.

Smoothed out to see how it was going

# 3 30-01-2003 , 04:38 PM
Kevin
Time for a leg... so nurbs cylinder and shape

# 4 30-01-2003 , 04:39 PM
Kevin
stuck the leg on... now doing some editing

# 5 30-01-2003 , 04:41 PM
Kevin
just done a smooth to get the look, leg not right at the back yet but im on it now user added image

comment so far - crits more then welcome

# 6 30-01-2003 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
awesome kev... i treid to model a dino too.... but the as usual "idea in the trash can".... and you are going to do a tutorial on this one right.. and cane you give me the ref pic.. as i wanted to try it out too...

# 7 30-01-2003 , 04:47 PM
Hey kev, nice start! Much more usable then my raptor. I spent alot of time on my raptor, but there is so many patches, so I am not sure how useable it will be if you know what i mean. So, as of right now i have scratched that project. Anyways, The head looks great.... one question, why did you decide to model that "line" from the top jaw to the bottom jaw, as part of the mesh?? Some thing that that would make it really difficult to rig for animation. Just wondering, can't wait to see more...
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 8 30-01-2003 , 04:47 PM
Kevin

# 9 30-01-2003 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
and how can you directly convert to polys... i have 4.5... but ican only convert: Poly > Sub div > Nurbs.... help!!!!

# 10 30-01-2003 , 04:50 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
Hey kev, nice start! Much more usable then my raptor. I spent alot of time on my raptor, but there is so many patches, so I am not sure how useable it will be if you know what i mean. So, as of right now i have scratched that project. Anyways, The head looks great.... one question, why did you decide to model that "line" from the top jaw to the bottom jaw, as part of the mesh?? Some thing that that would make it really difficult to rig for animation. Just wondering, can't wait to see more...
Brian

cheers mate!

yeah the drool will work fine, craig has this drool in the monster head tutorial ... All i did was added a face in and scale, Im going to take this one all the way so you will be able to see it animated.

Its about the only kind of project that I would finish as I have a facination for the t-rex user added image

# 11 30-01-2003 , 04:52 PM
Kevin
use the modify- convert nurbs to polygons option box and pick the following:

pick quads,

U type: last option and same for V type.

After I have the other bits done I will then convert to sub d to get some real detail in.

# 12 30-01-2003 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
oh ok..i thought you converted it from polys to nurbs... silly me... and is there anyway to convert poly to nurbs except from Poly > Sub div > Nurbs??? sorry if this is the wrong place

# 13 30-01-2003 , 05:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
Nice job, Kev! user added image

# 14 30-01-2003 , 08:48 PM
Cool m8!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 15 30-01-2003 , 10:32 PM
I've always wanted to make a dino, but never got around... Kudos to you! Looking great!