Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-02-2003 , 01:18 PM

Newbie attempting to model a Supra

Hi guys,

Im an absolute newbie when it comes to modelling anything. So I decided to get off my ass and try to make a car which inspires me.
So I chose a Toyota Supra.

Looking at THIS tutorial, which is meant for LW. I tried to duplicate it in Maya.

So here I am with my curves sorta looking like a Supra but no idea how to proceed with creating the panels.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

# 2 07-02-2003 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
i am a between a Noobie and an expert maya user.... but still modelling a car... phew... thats one of the hardest things... learn nurbs and curves then go for car modelling... i myself cant model a car properly

# 3 07-02-2003 , 03:43 PM
Subscriber
hmmm well, just dive in and see how far it takes you. I guess you are bound to be learning something.

And you got the forums to ask for advice along the way. I could advice you but I don't know where to start. So just post those questions.

And hitting F1 to go through the manual may solve some of your questions.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 07-02-2003 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
Good luck PureFire !
May the Force and the will be with you

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 5 09-02-2003 , 12:04 AM
Well Ive been giving it an honest effort, reading quite a bit and have managed to make a bonnet which you can view HERE.

I have used the biral 2 tool but found that if I use "rebuild curves" and then use biral 2, to get a smoother more even surface the biral surface wont appear. The function works but I dont see a surface.

Is this common or is there something Im not doing?

# 6 09-02-2003 , 09:28 AM
Been plugging away and although very rough, I think Im getting close to knowing what to do to model the basics of a car.user added image

user added image

# 7 09-02-2003 , 02:44 PM
Looking good so far, PF. Keep at it!

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 09-02-2003 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
looooks really good... do the same for the rest... and you are OK!!!!, damn.. iam impressed for a noobie!!!