Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 10-01-2013 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
Legs almost done - including two different sets of wires for both legs (I hate symmetry on items which would never be)

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-01-2013 at 12:20 AM.
# 17 11-01-2013 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
Legs done

user added image

user added image

# 18 12-01-2013 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
# 19 12-01-2013 , 12:54 AM
The leg is looking good have you thought about rigging it ?

You know you have been working too long in cg when your out side and you look up at the trees and say

"Wow that's spectacular resolution ."
# 20 12-01-2013 , 05:25 AM
Tweet, I noticed you have images of actual physical parts. Do you own a model you are able to pull apart or did you find those images online?

I would imaging a scale model with that level of detail would be quite expensive.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 21 12-01-2013 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you guys just looking at the nice images and not reading ain`t ya as both comments have already been answered but never mind.

Thanks for the complements though...

The leg is looking good have you thought about rigging it ?

Yes - The whole project is based on the idea I want to learn how to rig robots and its also a HDRI lighting experiment. Both fields I have very little experience in. But saying that I have learnt with this project how to model some insane shapes.

Tweet, I noticed you have images of actual physical parts. Do you own a model you are able to pull apart or did you find those images on-line?

I would imaging a scale model with that level of detail would be quite expensive.

The images are from I guy called Ryan Coombes who built the model himself as there is not a good one out there on the market. Please have a look at his website as it is a fantastic project. Me and him have had a few convo`s about this guy now and has ever taken some more photos of it for me. Without his photos this project would be 200% harder. He said it cost about £410 to build and about 600 hours to make and the scale is about 1/16. I would love to have model or be able to build one.

His website is https://www.ukmonsters.co.uk/robocain/robocain.html - make sure you check out the youtube video at the end as well.

I also have a very small model of the guy (he uses it in this photo for a scale joke) which although badly moulded in place is great for seeing where everything goes and scale.

Attached Images

Last edited by tweetytunes; 12-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.
# 22 12-01-2013 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
Spent the day sorting out the naming of parts and grouping of all the parts and coping the right leg over. Outliner never been so sorted. I have also gotten the middle section done. Will sort the pistons out once I have the upper body sorted

user added image

user added image

Moving on to the arms now I think.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 12-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.
# 23 12-01-2013 , 07:24 PM
Acid44
That thing looks massive when it isn't beside him. That level of detail at that scale is amazing O_O

Model looks great, looks like there might be something wierd going on in the legs, first image of post 17. Diagonally between the bolt and the slightly hard edge that runs along the outside(?) of the leg

# 24 12-01-2013 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber

Model looks great, looks like there might be something wierd going on in the legs, first image of post 17. Diagonally between the bolt and the slightly hard edge that runs along the outside(?) of the leg

Sorry Acid where is the problem a little lost in your directions.

Looking at the image (I hope its the right one) I see some things that seem like errors but they have been fixed or its just bad angles
on the attached image the areas are marked - if its not them plz let me know and thx for trying to point it out.

1) Is a reflection from the HDRI image hitting the bend funny - Looking at the other images and the AO render there is not a problem with the geo. Lucky enuff that part will be a matt finshed color so little relfections, but will see once it comes to render time.

2) A extra line of geo caused a ding which has been removed
3) Is the box on the other side of the leg.

Apart from them I also gave the model a quick look over - checking normal angles, normal`s facing the right way and the edge loops.

I still cant believe the guy did it. The model kicks ass - the working screen is my fav part.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-01-2013 at 09:50 AM.
# 25 13-01-2013 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
Ok - This was a hard bit to get right and was not looking forward to doing this but its done. What is it you ask - its the part that joins the arms to the body.

user added image

The guy has 4 arms - the upper ones larger than the lower ones with pipes going from the base to the upper arms.

# 26 13-01-2013 , 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
LOL damn Tweety your w.i.p shots have such high production value.

- Genny
# 27 13-01-2013 , 09:24 AM
Subscriber

LOL damn Tweety your w.i.p shots have such high production value.

Hahaha.

Just how I done it since uni.

The renders only take a few seconds - basic shader with default HDRI lighting (basic setting) and then a AO pass. Quick trip to photoshop, slap my logo on, done.

After looking at the thing in wireframe i always look at the renders to make sure everything is looking ok.

# 28 13-01-2013 , 05:24 PM
The image have nice production value but I honestly wish they were larger. There is a lot of detail that is just to small to see in those tiny window frame shots.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 29 13-01-2013 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
If you right click and go view image you will see that they are 1920 x 1080 images. I always work in HD. The site resizes them to fit on screen.

Anyway upper part of the upper arm done apart from the cables which I will do once the whole arm is done.

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-01-2013 at 06:55 PM.
# 30 14-01-2013 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber
Upper right arm done - apart from cables, again due to the fact I think it would be easier to pose this before creating them. Going to leave it till all the arms are done then do them all together I think.

Moving on to the lower right arm next.

user added image

user added image

Edit - Dame it - forgot to do the pads on the fingers so not finished - oh well - very close. Also added a plan for the cables so you can see what some of the parts on the model do.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 14-01-2013 at 01:14 AM.