Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-07-2003 , 03:04 PM

Helpppppppppp

Hi people.

Please check the attached file ,I'm trying to make hole in "A" with "B" shape. I made vase shape with cv curved and i rovlved it. And I made that star shape with A nurbs circle and I scale it vertex to get that star shape . Can u please explain to me how Im make that hole in that Vase shape?and how can I make that vase thicker??

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-07-2003 , 03:43 PM
Subscriber
have you tried boolean?
maybe make a planar of that star first, then boolean.

I don't think there's a way to make that actually thicker. You'll have to fake it by revolving the same shape inside the vase only scaled down a bit. in X and Z for example.

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>
# 3 15-07-2003 , 03:53 PM

d24e...

Thanx d24e...

How do i exactly working with boolean? union tool? subtract tool?
I guess the vase is polygon and the star is nurb ... akkkkk.. I almost give up.
user added image(

# 4 15-07-2003 , 04:04 PM

Error: Revolve: No valid items selected.

Another problem(Its My lucky day...) I cant revolve it... I tried to duplicate it and then scale it abit - But I guess there's easier way to do it....about to make that star hole shape- Nothing,The boolen not working for this.
Any suggestions?

# 5 15-07-2003 , 04:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
First of all, what type of geometry are we dealing with here? Is the vase polygons or nurbs? I know the star shape is a nurbs curve.

The easiest way to do it would be with polygons, and I'd even go so far as to say that it'd be almost impossible with nurbs. Almost. user added image

If your vase is polygons. Good. If not, you can convert it. I have a Nurbs > Polygons conversion vid at my personal site if needed.

Take your star shape, duplicate it and move it to the side. Select them both and Surfaces > Loft > Options. In the options, you can use polygon outputs. So, you'll use 2 nurbs curves to output a polygonal "cylinder" that is in the shape of a star. An elongated Star, so to speak. You'll need to cap the top and bottom by using the Append to Poygon Tool (under Polygon menu). The way Append works, is you click on the tool, and then click an edge along the upper lip of the star cylinder. You should see small purple arrows appear. You may need to zoom in to see them clearly.

Click on the edges one at a time, in the direction the small purple arrows point. This will fill that area with a pink surface. When you're all the way around, click enter. This has created a face to fill that hole. Do the same for the opposite side.

So, now you've got a polygonal vase structure, and an enclosed, elongated star shaped "cylinder."

First thing you should be aware of is that Maya's booleans are buggy. They have been improved in their ability to work, but, at least in my case, occasionally, the 3 available boolean functions seem to do one of the other actions.

For example, Difference may sometimes act as Intersection and vice versa. That may just be me, but I'm not sure.

In any case, insert the elongated star cylinder into the polygonal vase where you want the hole to be. Select the vase, and shift select the star shape.

Go to Polygons > Booleans > and pick one. user added image If it does not do the action you want, undo and try another one. Do so until you get the star shape cut into the vase. If all 3 do not want to work, try selecting them in the reverse order... selecting the star shape first, and shift selecting the vase.

If none of that works, as it does happen occasionally, you'll have to manually cut a star into the vase. With the star shape still inserted where you want the star located, you can use the Split Polygon Tool to outline the cylindrical star and make a star cut into the vase.

Good luck.

# 6 15-07-2003 , 04:38 PM
The Maya Mountain
Here's an example image.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 15-07-2003 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
wow, now that's what I call helpinguser added image

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>
# 8 15-07-2003 , 05:50 PM

mtmckinley- U are The MAc

Thanx buddy- U really help me... I really appreciate that .

# 9 15-07-2003 , 09:34 PM

Boolean Problem

Can some one please tell me why after one time that Im using boolean tool on poolygon body I use it again on the same polygon?
As u see in the pic- I attached first shape to the vase body and after that NOTHING( i delete the history2) -even when i try other boolean tools...
nothing happened- The vase disappear when i try to make another attachment... is there some1 who know why its happening?

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 15-07-2003 , 10:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
your boolean objects need to be enclosed. You'll also not want them to be so high-res. You've got waay too much geometry on the edges of that booleaned section.

Try deleting history between booleans.

Booleans are buggy, though.

Also, as this is the same subject as before, I'm merging it with your previous thread.