Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-09-2015 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber

News on the next tutorials?

Hi Dave, Any tasters on what you are working on next?

Cheers Myth

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 2 12-09-2015 , 08:31 PM
SM Tea Boy
I've got the final three volumes of the house coming out all at the same time. I may have gone a bit overboard but i wanted to make it as comprehensive as possible.

So volume three:
Covers complex paint effects instancing real geo to pfx allowing for the creation of complex flowers things like apple trees and the like. Then animating trees grass and what not. Finally shading that lot with the new milla material.

Volume four:
painting the house, this one will cover techniques for painting in mari with photographs i've attached a WIP test shot (sorry low quality) of the house so far. So it goes over photo correction, creating a defuse map a bump map, spec weight map, AO, curvature maps and a bunch of other stuff.

Volume five:
Compositing, getting the render information out of maya (passes material id passes, depth, volumetric lighting that kind of thing) then putting it together in nuke.

At the end of volume five you'll have a fully textured house and animated environment with a camera flyby and total control over all the separate render elements.

I've finished volume three and volume four there sitting on my HD. Now i'm halfway through volume 5 I just need to go out and shoot a 35mm 360 panoramic backing plate.

Sorry it's taken so long I expect to finish sometime over the next week. The all three volumes will drop at once and they can be watched all together or they work as stand alone tutorials as well so...

The house in the shot below is not finished it's a WIP (no post production on it either just a raw render)

I'm rendering out part of the animation for the environment atm so i can't do an updated render, I'll post some updated images of the house and enviroment this week.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 12-09-2015 , 08:33 PM
SM Tea Boy
Helps if you attach the image DO'h, like i said early WIP bump to high displacement not quite right etc cetera but it should give you a idea of what we're going for.

Dave user added image

Attached Thumbnails

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 14-09-2015 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
very nice indeed, looking forward to them dave user added image

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 5 19-09-2015 , 07:54 PM
SM Tea Boy
quick wip update

user added image

Still a way to go on the comp and i've still got to render out the final animation but I'm getting there
All the best
David user added image