Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 10-11-2002 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
wow, cool, amazing :banana:

what i dont understand though, why are that less polys enough for the character. and how do you know it looks good in smooth? you smooth it every 10 seconds and put back to unsmooth??? i always manage to get a real dense wireframe when i only add some little detail user added image

and for the shirt, a ugly flower shirt with bright yellow and orange paintfx flowers might be worth testing - so it really looks like 70's. user added image

# 47 10-11-2002 , 11:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, babyduck. user added image

yeah, I smooth it to see what it looks like, then go back and change if I need to. Eventually, with practice, you anticipate how the smooth works so you don't have to test it so often.

That's an intersting idea. lol I'm not really going for a 70s look, though... seeing as the character is based on me. And I wasn't alive in the 70s. user added image

# 48 10-11-2002 , 11:40 PM
Subscriber
oh i see. i guess i should try staying in polys til the end. but i am too new to maya (and 3d altogether) that i might try poly only when i can get something useful with subds. but i seen today what you mean - the legs on my ant in mini challenge turned out way better than i thought after turning to subds. maya is amazing user added image

# 49 11-11-2002 , 12:59 AM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, SubDs are cool, but they're a little too much for my computer. At least, to edit anyway. I can convert to them fine, but if I try to mess with them, my comp goes sllloooooooowwww. user added image

# 50 11-11-2002 , 06:11 AM
The Maya Mountain
Ok, here's a new update. It's mostly more details, like wrinkles and such... I know, I'm avoiding those shoes, aren't I? lol

Here's a hi-res version (136k) www.mtmckinley.net/cg_toon35hi.jpg

user added image

# 51 11-11-2002 , 06:45 AM
Excellent job mtmckinley, that looks fantastic, love the skin and shirt etc, looking really smooth, well done.

Cant wait to see finished prodcut.

/Maz

# 52 11-11-2002 , 08:41 AM
Supreme Being
wicked man.. real smooth.. hehe :p
now get to those shoes.. !

# 53 11-11-2002 , 03:02 PM
Kevin
that is some sweet work mike! I just hope you dont wear that colour in real life ? user added image

awesome work as always!

# 54 11-11-2002 , 05:10 PM
Mike are the arms attached to the shirt or are they still separate?

Its looking too sweet heheh.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 55 11-11-2002 , 05:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, everybody!

They're seperate at the moment. Attached is a pic. user added image I'm determined to get those shoes started today. user added image

# 56 11-11-2002 , 09:47 PM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by Kevin
that is some sweet work mike! I just hope you dont wear that colour in real life ? user added image

awesome work as always!

Hey, what's wrong with a tangerine shirt? lol

# 57 11-11-2002 , 11:15 PM
Actually from a designer´s point of view, tangerine is one of the best color combinations you can get with a blue jean.
-just another pointless post- :p

# 58 12-11-2002 , 02:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
heh, I thought they matched pretty good. user added image

Here's newest update... started on shoes. I'm thinking I'm just going to keep these for now, and go ahead to work on rigging and such. Then environment.

user added image

# 59 12-11-2002 , 03:56 AM
Your too cool for school mike =) Love the shoes.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 60 12-11-2002 , 04:16 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, Kurt. user added image I'm thinking of making the shoes just all black... orange on feet seems to be a tad distracting.

anyone agree?

For those keeping up with the cgtalk.com challenge (that this is my entry for), the scenario is to have a toon version of the artist (that's me user added image ) performing a non-computer related hobby. I was thinking of having 'me' be in the middle of cleaning... like vaccuming, washing dishes, scrubbing floors... all at the same time! lol Not that cleaning is a hobby, but it seems like I'm doing it ALLL the time. lol

Any other ideas?