Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 151 04-08-2007 , 11:04 AM
What version of Zbrush are you using?

You said that youve just got Z3 and the displacements are not as defined as Z2.

If your in Z2 get hold of the multidisplacement plug in and use that

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 152 04-08-2007 , 11:44 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
@gster;
Yes i have zbrush3, but haven't got 2 anymore.
But the problem is that when i export the displacementmap from zbrush into photoshop i get some colorvariations in the backgroundcolor(i've attached an image and exagerated the effect, for display purpose), which are giving an additional bump.
I just want to know how to fix this, before i move on.
And thanks for thinking along with meuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 153 04-08-2007 , 11:49 AM
Ok guys i've added the displacementmap to the bumpmapchannel and expiremented with painting the colors(it isn't a picasso just yet, but i'm getting there), so let me know what you guys think.

Edit; still haven't fixed the additional bump map problem, so if anyone knows what's going on/wrong it would be much appreciated

Attached Thumbnails
# 154 04-08-2007 , 11:57 AM
I would reinstall Z2, I uninstalled after the upgrade too, if I was you, sculpt the model in Z3 then export the high poly as a obj, import this into Z2 (with the multidisplacement mapper installed) then reconstruct the sub divisions till you get it to where you want, then use the multi displacment exproter with the maya code (google it and you'll get it) then just export straight out, no ps work needed to flip ie etc etc then just use it straight in maya.

Trust me its a lot better.

Also theres an upgrade for Z3 now

# 155 04-08-2007 , 12:28 PM
And you think the "second bump-problem" is sorted then aswell?(I did have the problem in zbrush2 also).

# 156 04-08-2007 , 12:48 PM
Not too sure what you mean with the second bump? do you mean the bump in the background of the image you posted? If so I think so as ive never had a problem with the multi displacement plug in.

# 157 04-08-2007 , 02:23 PM
I found it!!!!:attn:

According to the video on you tube i had to export the image into photoshop and change the image from greyscale to rgb and from 16 to 8 bit, and since it worked for him i never asked any questions:headbang: .
Now that i didn't do it it worked just fine, i'm not happy with the bump itself but now i can at least see it and adjust in zbrush.
Ah well, another lesson learned:blush:

I'm still doing as you suggested Gster, when i find zbrush2 on my back-up disc that is
:p

Attached Thumbnails
# 158 04-08-2007 , 04:13 PM
hey mastone - not sure how I let this get to 11 pages without commenting (sorry mate:blushuser added image, but I just had a good look through your thread and this looks very impressive. really good to see you take on so much and stick with it. Definitely looking forward to seeing more updates... though I never thought I'd see a naked yoda!

# 159 04-08-2007 , 04:31 PM
Youve got to remember that a lot of the vids for displacements for Zbrush are either for version 1 and/or 2 not for 3.

Its quite hard to get to grips with but well worth it, the "old" method was just to export displacements form Z (probably the way your doing) then adjust them in PS , then the displacement mapper came out which makes the process a lot easier.

Also youve got to remember that maya was different back then and maybe didnt support 16 bit tiff's (not too sure as it was before my time with 3d)

The process I use is model in Z3 then export to Z2 then reconstruct the sub divs, export the low poly object, re-uv in maya import as a morph target for the low level model, use the multidisplacement mapper at 2048, 32 bit tif, then convert to a .map (if I feel like it) then make up the shading network using the std route (approximation editor etc etc)

# 160 05-08-2007 , 01:21 PM
Isn't there an easy way to change the .tif to a .map file.
The tutorial says something about batchfiles but i can't find them on zbrushcentral.....
Cause in the tutorial it says that i should go to the commandprompt and change it there, when i do that the only thing i'm getting are errors.
if i want to use the tif maya gives me pain(unrecognised fileformat yadayada....)

edit;
@arran; user added image

# 161 05-08-2007 , 11:28 PM
Ok guys i've found a great tutorial on the workflow between maya and zbrush==> https://www.edwin3design.com/root/news.htm

also i've some problems with the normal maps( see picture)
does anyone know why it does that?

Attached Thumbnails
# 162 06-08-2007 , 03:09 PM
After a couple of hours of tweaking and messing around, in which i don't remember what i've done anymore, i decided that i would let normalmapping go for the moment .
I did however made wonders with displacementmapping today:p .
I could use some pointers in the texturepainting i quess,(although i have to say i'm quite happy with it) since it's the first time i made a handpainted texture.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 163 06-08-2007 , 03:50 PM
yeah - it's looking really nice. user added image
do you plan to add a specular map?

# 164 06-08-2007 , 04:10 PM
"do you plan to add a specular map?"
As soon as i figure out how to make one i will.

And thanksuser added image

# 165 06-08-2007 , 04:22 PM
don't know too much about specular maps, but you need it to be in greyscale and whiter where you want his skin to be shiny, such as his cheeks and nose, and darker where you want it to be not shiny. user added image