Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 20-06-2007 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys,

Vlad: Good points, thanks. The toe tap does bend down, I didn't adjust the value enough to show it and the eye control in the GUI was a last minute thought, it just controls the original one (which is hidden) in front of the face, it won't be an issue to sort out if necesarry.

I'm not sure what you mean about the hips, it could be that I modeled her with straight legs so there's no slack in the IK handle before her feet lift. I've compared the movement to other rigs (from textbooks) and they move in the same way once the slack is gone.

I'll get those fingers sorted.

Dave: Hopefully it'll work well when it comes to animating! I'd not thought about raising the cheek bones, it'll be easy enough to attach a couple more blendshapes onto the rig, cheers. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the hair, I hope it (and the balloon string) behave when I'm animating.

Mirek: Long time, I hope you're well. I know what you mean about the eyes being very round (they are spheres!), I'll have a bash at putting a little shape into them. Regarding music, I've not opened any music software for a few weeks now, too busy with this at the moment. I always have my guitar at hand for when I need to relax though!

Cheers for all of your thoughts, I really appreciate the feedback as it helps me progress.

Later,

Mat.

# 47 21-06-2007 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
I hear you on all counts.., your lucky maya is your study.., i have to kind of bash it into the uni course.., used in web design (with flash decoder, ect) , short movies, ect any excuse will do. making a set now might to composite with a green screen .., shouldn't be too hard to find one.

alls well, saw myself on TV last night.., a pop clip, 16mm.., man life is full of surprises.., I played a cow boy (the only actor, spaghetti western style) for a band called the cops.., look for it on MTV..,'the message.'

anyway, I digress from the thread. user added image

you would be able to get work here (maya) at the drop of a hat with your skills mate.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 48 21-06-2007 , 06:11 AM
Subscriber
its really visible the feet lift when you move the hips.

it could because of a few reasons, but .
whatever works.

user added image

# 49 21-06-2007 , 06:54 AM
hey mat - this is looking awesome - the character has really come out well. user added image

the only thing that I wasn't sure about was the movement of the eyebrows - i feel like the majority of the movement would be in the center, rather than the outside as well - it just seemed a bit 'heavy' - i think this is probably just me though as you were probably just showing the full range of movement.

Really great job mate - really enjoying following this project and seeing the progress.
user added image user added image

# 50 23-06-2007 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
Thanks folks,

here's the first render of the girl with the balloon. I've attached the balloon to her hand using a parent constraint which is disabled when the balloon is switched to free float mode.

The pose is just a quick one so it's not great!

I've sorted out blendshapes for raising the cheeks and have put controllers on the GUI. Both the girl and the balloon are scalable now, I had to resort to MEL for the balloon and surprised myself when my simple script worked!!

I've been thinking about the story while I've been making this character and am now ready to start writing it after which I'll rough out a storyboard. I'll probably make a start on the other main character and tweak this one as I'm writing and drawing so 3D updates won't stop.

Cheers for your thoughts,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 23-06-2007 , 04:57 AM
Subscriber
This is great Happy. I loved the video...I would suggest you create a tutorial, I think you would do really well. Make a deal with the admins in this site so you get a % of sales or something like that.

# 52 23-06-2007 , 11:03 AM
Subscriber
excellant work mate ....i think a video would be good too ..but hey that is just me thinking ..cheers

# 53 23-06-2007 , 09:53 PM
looking really good Mat

The rig you've got looks pretty sweet, especially for the face, only thing ive ever done is a few blend shapes! Got to agree would be nice to see a little tutorial, either text or video, all's good!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 54 26-06-2007 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
Hello folks and thanks for the kind remarks.

I'll probably get around to making a tutorial at some point, in the mean time though this project is taking up most of my time! I've not been able to make much progress this week because the bad weather and flooding in the area has lead to power cuts.

Today though we've been power cut free so I sorted out the UI to control and key the face and mouth by adapting the UI from the Zuckafa head by CGToolkit for my needs.

I also sorted out a few of the blendshapes as I wasn't happy with them and made a start on a pose library.

I've made a bit of progress with writing the story, the girl finally has a name.... Nell, but there is still plenty to do, hopefully I'l have it all down before the end of next week.

Right click and save THIS (10Meg) to see a video showing the UI. I ohpe it makes sense!!

Cheers,

Mat

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 27-06-2007 , 12:43 AM
Swanky Stuff! :bow:

I'd also be interested in seeing how you key between the preset facial poses...

Dave.

PS: Sorry to hear about the nasty weather!

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 56 27-06-2007 , 10:25 AM
Subscriber
Cheers Dave,

I just watched that last video and it's a bit of a shambles really, I missed bits out and didn't really explain what I was doing. I'll get the hang of these video diaries yet!!!

I've made a quick one (more of my babbling I'm afraid!) to demonstrate the Keying functions of the UI, right click and save THIS (9Meg) to watch it.

Yeah the weather's a bit of a bummer, thankfully I've not been particularly affected (apart from the inconvenience of power cuts), there are some folks whose houses have been ruined by the flooding water/sewage. More severe weather warnings this weekend, yay!

All the best,

Mat

# 57 28-06-2007 , 12:02 AM
I've seen some rigs that are absolutely mind boggling with their complexity, but your UI adheres to the K.I.S.S principle - Keep It Super Simple (although it may not have felt like it when you were putting it together). But now at the end of the day you have a rig that will serve your purpose and can be adapted to any future character you create. Very nice job!

Only thing left to ask is – How much & where can I get a copy user added image

Dave.

PS: COU(walk cycle)GH

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 58 28-06-2007 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber
wow I haven't looked at this since like the first half of the first page. I've never seen any rigging before, thats some really awesome stuff, makes me want to learn it now! Is that how rigging tutorials on here on SM show you how to set it up? Or is that something you learned through schooling or personal preference.
Great work, keep it up!!

# 59 28-06-2007 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
Thanks folks,

I've not taken a look at any of the SM rigging tutorials so I can't comment on them. I learnt most of what I know through the Modelling and Animation Handbook (Maya Press), The Art of Rigging Vol1 (CGToolkit) and good old trial and error.

Dave, nasty cough you've got there, might want to see a doctor about that user added image!!

I'll have some more progress to share in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 60 28-06-2007 , 05:07 PM
this is looking really great! must admit I wasn't sure about nell at first, but she's really grown on me - this is cool little character you have here - it's amazing how it starts to come to life when you add blendshapes.

Really enjoying watching your videos and following along with this project, even if it is a bit beyond me!user added image

good job! :bow: