Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-09-2011 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber

Mjolnir

I have made a model of thor's hammer after watching the movie.This is a very short animation with a dust effect made with nparticles . It is somewhat scary but it wasnt my intention, i apologize for that.

Mjolnir, Thor's hammer on Vimeo

Attached Images

Last edited by taquion; 09-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.
# 2 11-09-2011 , 02:59 PM
SM Tea Boy
Nice dust, Nparticles emitted into a fluid container?

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 11-09-2011 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
The faces touching the floor are emitting particles (emit from object) whit the surface option.

The trick is to lower the opacity as much as possible so that the shape of the particles cant be seen, and make too many. It also has a turbulence field parented to the object that makes them spread.

Last edited by taquion; 11-09-2011 at 04:24 PM.
# 4 11-09-2011 , 05:00 PM
Nice model, i like the handle wrappings especially, The handle does look a little too thin to me. I think the head might be a little too small as well, If i recall Thors hammer was originally a full size war hammer that was cut down in an attempt to sabotage him(unsuccessful) so the head should look too large for the handle.

# 5 11-09-2011 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
But before the hammer what were his powers then, just being immortal?

# 6 11-09-2011 , 09:05 PM
Depends if you are going off the Norse mythos or the Marvel Comics(movie & Comics).

In the myth he was given the hammer at birth but was sabotaged to prevent him from wielding the power destined to him to prevent Ragnarok. But once given to him the hammer could shrink so it could be carried, and thrown it would always return to him(easier because of its compact handle now), And summon Thunder/lightning to strike his foes.

All Asgardians were supposed to be of higher physical ability than humans. Stronger, Faster, More durable, healing. Usually their weapons/equipment granted them extra abilities such as the hammers lightning. Sifs winged horse of flight. Heimdals Helm of vision.

Marvel comics makes a few alterations but because it is so prominent it should be pointed out. Thors hammer was sabotaged by Loki in marvel. All asgardians have extremely high strength, speed, reflexes, durability with most abilities actually part of the person, not equipment. Thor loses most of his abilities and powers if separated from the hammer for too long. For a while he shared a body with a mortal, if his powers faded enough he reverted back to his mortal human form but no longer.

# 7 11-09-2011 , 10:17 PM
Subscriber
Wow, thanks.

What i knew about Thor was from reading the Avengers and some of the booklets of the Marvel Thor series, as my favorite was Spiderman. It puzzled me that in the movie they almost put Odin to die when they are all supposed to be immortal gods, the worst thing that can happen to Thor is to get trapped in a kind of dimensional vortex or something like that.

Last edited by taquion; 16-09-2011 at 06:35 PM.
# 8 12-09-2011 , 02:27 AM
Yeah i am a big fan a marvel comics, and mythology/sci-fi in general. I like thor but i don't follow his comics as much unless i see him in avengers or something. I do get the spiderman series currently and X-men.

# 9 12-09-2011 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
It is amazing they continue selling after so many years, I was speaking of 35-40 years ago.