Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-03-2004 , 04:35 PM

Dynamic rigid bodies

Hi out there,

I have a question concerning dynamic rigid bodies. I know maya is not basically a physical simulation engine, but since it does some of the stuff really nice and easy I came up with an idea and wondered if it's possible and how I would have to set it up. OK, here's the plan:

I have a rigid body and attached to it four cubes like tires to a car. Now I want to animate the tires, i.e. turn them like there is an engine attached to them (ok, so far no problem). But now I want to let the vehicle be pulled down to a passive rigid body as a ground by gravity and let the friction move the vehicle forward.

Maybe it's easy, but I couldn't make it work yet. Any suggestions?

user added image

# 2 02-03-2004 , 06:13 PM
There are many melscripts out there that allow you to setup car physics, and even just the rotating wheels alone, based on car movement.

This can be done, you just have to attach the gravity field to the car body after you setup the car wheel/physics scriptsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 02-03-2004 , 06:29 PM
Thanks a lot ... can you give me a hint where to find such a script? I'm not very good with MEL yet ... well actually I'm not very good at maya at all yet ... but I still got the hope that will change

# 4 02-03-2004 , 07:39 PM
ragey post or PM the link to that car dynamics setup mel please

# 5 10-03-2004 , 08:50 PM
Hmmm ... I tried to find a script that does the trick, but didn't have any luck yet ... Maybe ragecgi could give me a hint?

# 6 11-03-2004 , 05:18 PM

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 11-03-2004 , 08:24 PM
Hi ragecgi,

thank you for the link. This is also very cool and I will definitly add it to my favorites to use it whenever I will make a vehicle, but I think there was a misunderstanding. Probably because I'm not a native english speaker, so here is my second attempt.

What I want to do is create something that is animated and then let physics (gravity and friction) figure out what the whole thing does. I don't want to let a path define the direction of the thing and have a script animate the wheels accordingly, but the other way around. I want the wheels to turn and gravity and friction animate the vehicle. ... Uh ... I don't know if that is much clearer than my original post ... But I really hope so ...

# 8 12-03-2004 , 04:28 PM
I understand nowuser added image

Not sure if Maya can do this without some heavy scripting.
(not sure, I've never tried)

Max has something like this built-in (only recently), but I think there might be a person here who MIGHT be able to help you.

His name is Brian Ellebracht, and he is a moderator for our Modeling sections.

He has done animations like this in the past, but I'm not sure if he used straight-up dynamics, or if he keyframed it all, so feel free to ask himuser added image

Also ask Danny Ngan in our Melscript forum about any scripts he might know ofuser added image

Sorry I couldn't be of more helpuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 12-03-2004 , 10:27 PM
Hi Rage!

You definitely helped a lot. I will try and ask them, if they know of anything else. Otherwise I gues I will have to write it in plain C++ which will be some hard coding. Thank you anyway for your time!