Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-07-2009 , 02:12 PM

Thoughts on my new main-page

Hey All!
I was bored yesterday after a long and boring (slight depressing) day at home, so I decided to redo my main page!

https://www.joopsontoons.com/

I was going for an artsy kind of feel. Soon I will re-do the rest of my site, but this is all for now.
Tell me how you feel about it
(Also, any flash experts who know how to get the buttons to work in Firefox, Opera, and Chrome? thanks)

TTFN
-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 2 21-07-2009 , 02:38 PM
SM Tea Boy
it looks pretty nice mate clean and simple to navigate however if the links don't work in Firefox, that might be a problem, I can tell you from our site stats we get about 50% of visitors using Firefox

Firefox
47.60%
Internet Explorer
35.02%
Safari
8.40%
Chrome
4.53%
Opera
3.97%

That's a breakdown for our visits this month. It's up to you but i would say by having a site that does not work in Firefox your immediately cutting yourself off from about 50% of the traffic you get. So find that flash guy user added image

Just food for thought.
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 21-07-2009 , 04:19 PM
The links don't seem to work in safari either user added image

# 4 21-07-2009 , 04:52 PM
Hmm, they work in my version of Safari (My safari is a bit outdated though)

Hmm, I gotta sort this out, I guess...
well, wish me luck!
-Andy

EDIT: Ok, I THINK it was an HTML error, because now it works for me in firefox after getting rid of some HTML-trash, how is it for you all?

EDIT: cleaning up the HTML, so my site will be wonky until I finish

Edit^3: Should work, I hope

www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 21-07-2009 at 05:34 PM.
# 5 21-07-2009 , 06:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yep, the links work in Firefox 3.0. I think the overall look is pretty good. The font(s), especially in the links, seems a bit distracting (hard to read quickly) though.

# 6 21-07-2009 , 07:34 PM
Is it? for me the text is quite easy to read... Hmm, anyone else think it is hard to read?

At any rate, I did that look to the whole site, to give it some theme...

-Andy

www.joopson.com
# 7 21-07-2009 , 08:12 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't mean to say it's hard to read exactly, it just doesn't make it easy to skim through the list quickly. Maybe it's just me... you're allowed to ignore my comments user added image

# 8 21-07-2009 , 08:34 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
It's not that hard to read... but you sometimes have to read it twice.

The site is a bit dull with the black and the white, but I like things plain. But a bit of color might not hurt.

Also, is this going to be the site you use for finding a job in the CG world?.... cause if it is, you might not want to put links to your competition in the links page :p

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 9 21-07-2009 , 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
It's simple and right to the point, though it strains my eyes a bit to read dead white text against pitch black. And I'm a little annoyed that I can't middle click the links =.=.

- Genny
# 10 21-07-2009 , 10:20 PM
Yeah, flash prevents the whole "tab-click" firefox thing. What I do is click the link, and than middle-click the back button..
Also, Mayaniac, I am seventeen, haha, so for now this is just my hobby site.

www.joopson.com
# 11 22-07-2009 , 09:59 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by Joopson

...Also, Mayaniac, I am seventeen...

lol.... and?

No excuses.... people work at that age all the time (including me) Why not start working towards something... even internships.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 12 22-07-2009 , 10:09 PM
Yup, 17's not an excuse, should be top notch reardless if its the industry you want to get into.

Its pretty minimalist, not too sure if thats good or bad. but its quite basic.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 22-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.
# 13 23-07-2009 , 03:08 AM
I just wrote a whole heart-felt message about how much a really appreciate this website, and it got deleted...... GOSH.
anyway, I was just saying how I don't show my appreciation for this site nearly as much as I should. This site is why I am still doing 3D art, and it is the only reason why I know how to use Maya at all... so Thanks to everyone here for being awesome. Really.

also, I was thinking about how I need to do some new models for my site, or for practice, so I am going to get drawing and I will hopefully start a WIP thread soon enough...
Also, I was thinking about Polycounts website, and how they have a "What are you working on" thread, in which you post your current project, whether you are continuing it to a completed model or just practicing topology or texturing. It is a useful thread, because there isn't the whole "responsibility" to update the thread, which there is in a WIP thread.
I think we should have one.
Just sayin'...
again, thanks for everything, everyone.
-Andy
I will post either a "what are you working on" thread, or a WIP, depending on the consensus

www.joopson.com
# 14 23-07-2009 , 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
I will be expecting mah cookeh in the mail :p It can be hard working on your own steam, you get lazy, uninspired etc. I'd definitely say go ahead and draw. I'm doing more of that myself, along with writing, you have to switch it up now and again so you don't get sick of it though lol. Sometimes the expectations generated by a W.i.P thread is the kick in the arse you need to get your stuff together. Though, a "what are you working on" thread could be useful if you're just messing around and exploring, testing, brushing up on stuff, actually that's why I started a blog recently user added image

- Genny