Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-08-2003 , 03:56 PM

How can I list all objects in a Maya scene in a roll-down list with MEL?

Hi,

I am making a GUI with MEL and I want to list all objects in the Maya scene (both selected and unselected) when the GUI open. Right now I am just writing my own labels to choose from, but I would like to generate the list from the scene. How can I get hold of all objects in scene to this list?

optionMenuGrp -label "Objects";

menuItem -label "Sphere";
menuItem -label "Ball";
menuItem -label "Cube";

THANKS,

veronica

# 2 20-08-2003 , 04:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
what about the Outliner? Window > Outliner

# 3 20-08-2003 , 04:36 PM
You should look up the "ls" command in the MEL command reference.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 26-08-2003 , 12:21 PM

Still problem with listing objects! Help appreciated!

Hi,

Thank for the help about using the ls command. I can understand that I can obtain all objects in the scene with this one now. But I have still a problem with how to list it in my optionMenuGrp. Can anyone help me with this?

// List all objects in the scene
string $allObjects[];
$allObjects = `ls`;
menuItem -label $allObjects;

I guess the step were I put the string as one of the labels in the optionMenuGrp is were I do the wrong thing. Can I use this command at all to list the objects in the scene in this list?

I can run the script but the result in the list becomes only "time1" even though I have created a sphere in the scene.

# 5 30-08-2003 , 07:42 PM
It's possible that you may not be able to use a string array as a single menuItem. You might have to create a separate menuItem for each entry in the array. I haven't tried this myself though. Give it a shot and see what happens! user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 01-09-2003 , 05:12 PM
Hi,

This is one SOLUTION of the problem:

// List all objects in the scene
string $allObjects[];
string $tempName;
$allObjects = `ls -g`;
for ($tempName in $allObjects)
{
menuItem -label $tempName;
}

It seemed to work for me, thanks for help. If anyone knows how to select an object in the scene depending on which one is selected from this please write a post. I think I will have to use the select command in combination with the changeCommand flag for the optionMenuGrp, but I am not sure. user added image

/veronica