Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 31-12-2007 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber

Suggestion on Texturing Tutorial

The tutorials on Simply Maya are great. The ones I have used have really answered my questions.

I am making a model of a hockey player and am having issues texturing. My biggest issue is where the standard UV projection methods for complex geometry give me some serious issues around the edges of my models. For instance, I have made a great glove model, but when I set up UV's and texture it, the edges of the glove are really "muddy."

I know there are several texturing tutorials and several methods on how to clean up the UV's. Anyone have a suggestion on which tutorial or series of tutorials might be best.

Thanks!

# 2 31-12-2007 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
Plz could you put up a piccy so that we can see what the particular problem is a little easier.

Cheers

Chris

# 3 31-12-2007 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached the glove and the UV texture from Photoshop. If you look at the glove, the top of the hand of the glove is a separate mesh. What I was looking for was a straight seam around the edge. Since the surface is so curved up, the UV's a cylindrical projection gives me was the best and most unfolded.

If you look where the arrow is, the texture is getting all swiggly. I think the best way to have handled that would have been to make the mesh flat, texture it, then curve and adjust it. I however am not that smart.

I am under the distinct impression that their are ways that the pro's handle this, especially when you often have one guy modelling the mess and a second texturing.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 31-12-2007 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
Here is the UV map.

Attached Thumbnails