Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-05-2013 , 09:33 AM

Adding detail

Hello, I have edge loops put into my model to give detail at a certain area, but the edge loops continue around the model and create creases where I don't want them.

Is this typical in modelling, can I just delete the rest of the edge where I don't want it?

Thanks
Graham

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-05-2013 , 09:45 AM
The thin red line
Could you point out the edge that's the problem..........dave

# 3 12-05-2013 , 10:15 AM
The edge loop that is close together, on both sides.

I seem to run in to this problem alot when modelling, where I may need a sharp edge at one particular area, but the edge loop then continues on around the model, affecting other areas,

if you know what I mean..

# 4 12-05-2013 , 10:43 AM
Im also trying to clean up the model in places.
Here I wanted to adjust the corners where there was a bevel edge.
I deleted what was there and beveled again. Does the bevel created below look incorrect to you? It seemed ugly to me, so I deleted the extra edges created and re-aligned.

Does this seem more correct?

Thanks
Graham

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 12-05-2013 , 11:25 AM
The thin red line
If you have two edges close together its easy to get rid of them see pics, yes the way you cleaned up the bevel is good................................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 12-05-2013 , 05:11 PM
You can also use the 3-into-1 technique to reduce edges while maintaining quads.

This is most useful when you when to tighten the corners of holes in curved surfaces or where you have areas of high edge density moving into narrowing areas and you need to reduce the mesh density.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 12-05-2013 at 05:49 PM.
# 7 12-05-2013 , 05:27 PM
The thin red line
Thanks David
Rick heres another simply one on the same principle as my last one.........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 12-05-2013 , 08:08 PM
Those tips are priceless fellas, thanks.

# 9 12-05-2013 , 09:26 PM
The thin red line
Last one for me tonight I use this when I am doing hard edge modelling without smoothing. Im using a bevel but there are to many edges to run of to the side or edge.............dave

Edit: had to add my outer version

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 12-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.
# 10 12-05-2013 , 11:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think we need a sticky for simple little geometry/topology tricks like this. I know there's a topology sticky, but it seems to be mainly human heads. I always get tripped up by rerouting loops, dealing with tris, ngons and other simple little things. I'm sure there's a ton of good tricks out there that can be demonstrated on planes and cubes.

# 11 29-05-2013 , 03:20 PM

I think we need a sticky for simple little geometry/topology tricks like this. I know there's a topology sticky, but it seems to be mainly human heads. I always get tripped up by rerouting loops, dealing with tris, ngons and other simple little things. I'm sure there's a ton of good tricks out there that can be demonstrated on planes and cubes.

yes, do it

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^