Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 18-11-2005 , 03:53 PM
You are deffinetly right about the rear lights. The reason I did them the same was because I was looking at the pic below as a reference that I found. But looking at others I see what you mean, I will change that. Thanks for telling me about it.

I had no idea you could download the support files for the tutorial, that probably would have helped! I bet your tutorial was great.

The changing paint color I downloaded the shader on the web somewhere because I am still learning how to do it. I am still learning modeling/rendering, so it is a process. If anything it would be cool to learn how to do.

This is gonna sound dumb, but I don't know how to render the wire image so you can see it. I could take a screen shot, but I am sure there is a better way. Could you help me out with that?

Thanks for the advice again! Your ferrari looks great.

Attached Images
# 17 18-11-2005 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
just take a screenshot of it for me but zoom so only the car is in view and not everything else

# 18 18-11-2005 , 04:14 PM
I know in 3D Studio max you can apply a shader to it so it renders in a wire frame, but maybe there isn't that feature in Maya.

Here is the front wire.

Attached Images
# 19 18-11-2005 , 04:18 PM
Back

Attached Images
# 20 19-11-2005 , 07:31 PM
wow, man. nice set of wheels.. can i take a test ride around the parking lot??

user added image

mrcome, why go to that much trouble? why not render in tga format? isn't it the best uncompressed output format?

Last edited by utpal; 19-11-2005 at 07:34 PM.
# 21 19-11-2005 , 08:48 PM

I know in 3D Studio max you can apply a shader to it so it renders in a wire frame, but maybe there isn't that feature in Maya.

Another cheap way to render a wireframe in maya is to select the whole object, press the extrude button and decrease the size of all the faces by a very small margin. Go to Edit>Invert Selection, and simply change the color of the wires to a lambert (Any Color).
You can now render. Try not to do this if your model is very high poly. You can increase the poly count too much and freeze. The best thing to do to avoid modelling woes would be to create a duplicate, hide the original, and do the above method on the copy. This is to prevent any mess-ups on the actual model, making you have to start again.

Or, maybe there is a way to MEL-script a mental ray wireframe user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 22 20-11-2005 , 12:02 PM
With Maya 6 you can turn on Wireframe in Render Globals user added image
I don't know if this also works with ealier versions. (it's not called wireframe, but i'll have a look at it)

EDIT: It's called contour shading and you have to turn it on in mental ray and in the initial shading group of the object shader. Just play around with the attributes a bit.

Last edited by FubaR; 20-11-2005 at 12:28 PM.
# 23 20-11-2005 , 10:41 PM
contour shading is far more complex, and it doesn't really have nothing to do with the mesh, so you can never get a wireframe out of it.

# 24 02-01-2006 , 08:26 PM
How did you get the tight edges on the places like the hood, is this subd modeling?

If you look at Rob's renders of his Ferrari 360, and pay attention to the hood you'll notice its very round near the edges. I am just trying to figure out how to get rid of those really round edges on subd surfaces.

Thanks,

/Shift

# 25 06-01-2006 , 03:10 AM
There is an option in the subd menu, "partial crease" or "full crease".

When you have converted your polygon model or (hood for instance) you then right click, select edge, click the edges that need to be sharpened and partial crease them. The sharper you want, the more times you crease it, and of course the more dense it gets, but it looks sweet.

Good luck!

# 26 06-01-2006 , 04:29 AM
amazing work but how did u make the paint apear mettallic
when i do reflectivty and raytracing it just comes out as plastic not mettallic

# 27 06-01-2006 , 10:38 PM
Thanks JD

I was aware of the polygon and SubD creasing tools, I was just hoping I had overlooked some features that give you more controll over SubD creases.

I didn't say this before but amazing job on the car, really good work.

/Shift

# 28 09-01-2006 , 08:29 PM
Thanks BlueShift and marwan58

marwan58 I rendered in mental ray with a blinn material to get the metallic look. Are you using mental ray?

# 29 12-01-2006 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
Blinn? You should try Anistropic, see what that looks like. Awesome car man, how long did that take you? That is so crazy! I wish I could do models like that, I'm a noob and am just getting started at GOOD modeling. I'm really good at animation though (keyframe).

My password is ********.
# 30 12-01-2006 , 04:35 PM
Hey Thanks Sephiroth. It took me about 2 weeks to model, maybe a little more, and quite a bit to texture (rendering was what took the longest!). I was learning a lot in the process. Thats the best way to learn, just dive in with a good tutorial and don't get discouraged.