Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-11-2007 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber

Mieke

hey guys have been working on this character for the past two days.

still need to update allot of things, but if you see something you think is weird do comment on it user added image

user added image

# 2 09-11-2007 , 08:19 PM
# 3 09-11-2007 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
another update

Comments are welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 09-11-2007 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
I haven't modelled a person yet -- still struggling through the mechanical tuts, as they're the most similar to the 3D engineering software projects I've done. That said, I think she looks pretty cool -- although I am a bit concerned that she could be eaten by her costume...

user added image

# 5 09-11-2007 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
agree, i modified it to look as followed

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 09-11-2007 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
That looks good too. I wasn't trying to criticize the clothing thing -- for all I know, this girl's some kind of b/a warrior goddess who eats babies!

Anyway, I just think the "toothy" version would make more sense if we could see more than a headshot. Toothy armor makes more sense than a toothy hat...

# 7 09-11-2007 , 11:26 PM
Subscriber
Well i only have the headshot modelled, as this project took my only 3 days now user added image

But i wanted a goddess type first, but i just didnt have the creativity for the armour, i actualy like it now, its simple and fits with the character more.

A little story about Mieke pronounced Meee keu

She is not a warrior, she is more of a starfighter. yes a starfighter user added image

her father is Emperor of Ganabula, and for as far as he knows she is safe on the Enterprise Gaurd station doing medical research.

But with Mieke`s inflounce upon the General she can fly Starfighters but on one condition, that she has a minimum of 10 fighters next to her.

Thats Mieke user added image

Thx for the comments james user added image

# 8 10-11-2007 , 02:42 AM
nice work aikoworld - this is looking very promising.

i like the overall style of the character, but there are a couple of things that look a bit off to me. i think the pupils are looking a bit small - you should rarely see the whole of a pupil - otherwise it tends to make your characters look a bit surprised.

also, i think the ears are too high - really the top of the ear should be level with the eye (unless she has some freaky alien ears user added image )

the outfits look great and i really like the way you've done the eyebrows. good job so far.

user added image

# 9 10-11-2007 , 01:04 PM
Subscriber
Hey arran, :bow: thx very much for your input,

truly amazing that i didnt notice the ears.

i`v changed it all, will post a turntable tonight. i have to wait 10 hours for 150 images user added image

# 10 10-11-2007 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately i could not proceed with a turntable, as i got weird flickering on one of the eyes, i tried several things trying to remove it but no succes, so i ended up with single renders.

This is the final update, and thx for the help all.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 10-11-2007 , 08:50 PM
not bad user added image i wonder what the flickering was? you don't have two objects sitting on top of each other?

i might lose the back ground as it's a bit distracting.

i really like the green head dress thing a lot. it looks very cool.

good job! user added image

# 12 10-11-2007 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
well the eye is a nurbs sphere, behind it it has a half sphere black and in between the iris.

Its only one eye that has this problem, and i have used this same eye on every character i have used.

The left and right eye is 100% the same.

Ill try to to move the iris a bit back so its not that close to the nurbs sphere.

ill update this thread when i have fixed it.

# 13 12-11-2007 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
modified the teeth and eye lashes, some geometry around the cheeks.

the flikkering is still there, but less.

render is finished tomorrow, but here is frame 34.

Note to everybody the background collor is not the actual collor. Im still thinking of a background, suggestions are mostly welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 12-11-2007 , 09:44 PM
nice job - the ear is looking a lot better.

maybe you could use a similar background to the last image, but use a pale green color instead of red to bring out the color in her face.

# 15 12-11-2007 , 11:02 PM
I like it aikoworld,

how did you make the eyebrows - are they fur or hair, or geometry or just textured?

cheers,

gubar