Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-02-2008 , 09:57 AM

big lemon problem

hello. i have one little problem doing some deforming. actually i have made a lemon in maya and I need to have some random pores on the skin, because I will have a close up on the lemon and I need the pores. so how do I proceed ? I don't want a texture, I need the pores deformed into the object.

please help.
thanks in advance.

# 2 23-02-2008 , 10:22 AM
not exactly sure what you mean - 'deformed into the object' - i'm guessing you want the pores to deform with the lemon - in which case a color texture and bump should work fine. if not and you mean that you want to model the pores.... have fun! user added image

# 3 23-02-2008 , 10:36 AM
thanks so much for the fast reply. i want to be pores on the lemon. that is all. pores. but not from an image texture, they should be really pores. how do i do it ? i first taught to add particles or something on the object and then use them as points or something but it seems to not work. please help.

# 4 23-02-2008 , 10:58 AM
yeah - sorry - don't know how you would use particles - not sure either how you would model them quickly to get the effect you want - but why do you want them modeled? - unless you have a good reason - your just giving yourself a headache. really, a good texture map - bump, normal, or displacement, should do the trick.

# 5 23-02-2008 , 11:00 AM
what does bump actually do ?

# 6 23-02-2008 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
Still not sure if I'm 100% getting what you after but by the sounds of it a displacement map could work. Bump maps are plugged into the texture to make it appear 3d, like if there wer small extrusions etc from the geometry, whereas displacement actually changes the shape of the geometry to get really detailed effects.

Chris

# 7 23-02-2008 , 11:09 AM
it makes something look like it's bumpy.

if you don't know what a bump texture is than i would definitely recommend doing some research into texture maps before attempting to model the pores.