Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 91 19-01-2010 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
Oh definitely looks loads better with the seam gone. I don't think the volcano is a bad idea and I think leaning more toward red is good, and adding some falling ash, [maybe blur the bits closest to the camera] will add some depth.

that might just solve my issues with that part of the space aswell. if it works that could be a brilliant idea! a-ha, the finishing line may be in sight!(?)

# 92 19-01-2010 , 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by ben hobden
you mean as if the ash is reaching and falling all the way into the foreground? if so, i think i can visualise what u mean. be good if i could pull it off. need some reference for that...

My only reference of volcanic ash is from childhood memory, while we could see it, we didn't have to deal with the brunt of the ash cloud because it was happening on a neighboring island, the winds brought the particles, it was kinda like fine, dark gray snow with a slight but gritty feeling haze.

- Genny
# 93 20-01-2010 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber

My only reference of volcanic ash is from childhood memory, while we could see it, we didn't have to deal with the brunt of the ash cloud because it was happening on a neighboring island, the winds brought the particles, it was kinda like fine, dark gray snow with a slight but gritty feeling haze.

you have been involved with an errupting volcano?

i kinda get the fine dark grey snow, the slight but gritty feeling haze is harder, though its a great sentence. its kind of just there... but isnt. like a warm haze with bits in?

im under pressure now! youll have to crit me when/if i can get something i like.

# 94 20-01-2010 , 01:28 AM
Super Moderator
I guess you can call it "involved", having ash cover everything sucked but that was nothing compared to people having to migrate and losing loved ones, homes, businesses, crops and livestock.

It had a gritty feel to it because there is powdered rock and glass in it, don't know how you'll capture that visually lol but I said it so you could feel what I'm talking about.

- Genny
# 95 20-01-2010 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
dont think this quite covers the gritty feel of what you were saying Genny, but this is the start ive made. Got lots more to do and add, including more falling volcanic rocks, and stuff, and then I guess i'll have to add the red lighting on stuff that reflects the eruption, and then add the moonlight onto the volcanic cloud. damn multiple light sources...

Im making sure to keep all the volcano related bits on seperate layers so that I can turn the whole effect on or off..

Attached Images
# 96 20-01-2010 , 09:52 PM
Interesting...!

# 97 20-01-2010 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ColdWave
Interesting...!

oh-oh...is that good or bad?!

# 98 25-01-2010 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
Thought Id stick this up as havnt updated for a few days. Its starting to go very slowly.. Im looking forward to getting this finished now. Ive been trying to add a bird to the top left but its not working so far. I may or may not have another go. I have a good idea in mind of what i want it to look like, just the first try didnt work. Bummed.

Anyway. Im not sure if the volcanic rock effect is too much, i have toned it down a bit already. I think the depth added by the foreground falling rock, works quite well. Its hard for me to tell.

Attached Thumbnails
# 99 26-01-2010 , 11:54 AM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
I think the rock that is about to hit the dragon does not look right. after long consideration Ive decided not to take a holiday on your island LOL........dave

# 100 26-01-2010 , 11:34 PM
Subscriber
hah, yeah dave has a good reason not to visit!

that rock in the foreground is a bit funny.

good that you made the faces in the sky a lot more subtle, now it's at the point where i see multiple faces that share some bits of cloud in common

you don't need to change it though, i'm only kidding with you, i'm just trying to see faces where they arent user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 101 27-01-2010 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by daverave
Hi Ben
I think the rock that is about to hit the dragon does not look right. after long consideration Ive decided not to take a holiday on your island LOL........dave

thats a shame about the foreground rock, its supposed to add depth, like what genny said, and i thought it had worked ok, but it is hard to tell. i guess its 2 to 1 against. its meant to be more in the foreground so its not actually going to hit the dragon. i like my dragons too much for that! dont blame you about the holiday though , its probably quite cheap, but i think youd be taking a risk without the rough guide, which i believe at the time of writing, is still a long way from publication...

# 102 27-01-2010 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
hah, yeah dave has a good reason not to visit!

that rock in the foreground is a bit funny.

good that you made the faces in the sky a lot more subtle, now it's at the point where i see multiple faces that share some bits of cloud in common

you don't need to change it though, i'm only kidding with you, i'm just trying to see faces where they arent user added image

user added imageglad the faces are subtle enough now...i think I need to move on from this,mayb put some finishing touches to it at a later date,its become more obsession than enjoyment. Ive learned a few lessons,i think ive reached a point where I need to move on. Got a couple of unwatched gnomon tutorials to go through,plus some ideas from zcentral.com. Need a good brainstorm session to figure out what to do next. Whether to carry on in the scene/mattepainting route,or go back to zbrush.dynamics? Rendering? The choices are endless!

# 103 27-01-2010 , 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well you could always revisit it down the road. About the blurred rock in the foreground, maybe instead of a big chunk of rock, you could add some sparse, blurred ash particles?

- Genny
# 104 27-01-2010 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber

Well you could always revisit it down the road. About the blurred rock in the foreground, maybe instead of a big chunk of rock, you could add some sparse, blurred ash particles?

so thats 3 to 1 against 'the rock'...user added image... Ok, i'll break it up a bit.

# 105 29-01-2010 , 06:56 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
wow your image feels abit crumped and everyone's competing for attention i think depth of field will really help you when your finishing this