Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-08-2010 , 04:35 AM
Subscriber

Transform not allowed in 3D

I am attempting to reshape a simple 10x 10 faces plane so that it is narrower at top and curved like a sail. Simple editing functions are being denied with the message 'some functions are not allowed in 3D view'.
Since all views in Maya are 3D I'm obviously missing the point somewhere.

I'm a novice and using the Haunted House tutorial as a general guide to techniques. Suspecting that my preferences needed resetting I have replayed the first lesson and discovered that my workspace differs to the tutorial in that it talks about the Modelling Menu set; my Maya (8) doesn't seem to have this.
How do I extract myself from this maze?

# 2 01-08-2010 , 05:49 AM
EduSciVis-er
What operation exactly are you trying to do? Some things like UVs and isoparms can't be moved in 3D, so you have to select a different component type.

In later Maya versions, the modelling set was divided into Polygons and Surfaces, might be the case.

# 3 01-08-2010 , 08:19 AM
Lifetime Member
The modelling set is the top left mate. You have Animation, Polygons, Surfaces etc etc . It is there in Maya 8. Alternatively hit the F3 key..this will take you to Polygons as well. All the function keys can do this.

Are you modelling the haunted house?? or doing something on your own? I would (if creating a sail shape) either do it in Nurbs then convert to poly or just use the vertices in Poly and scale etc etc that way.

From 1 noob to another...have fun. Post back anytime...its a good site for help and info mate.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 01-08-2010 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
Thanks stewrt you've cleared up the modelling prob. As for isoparms and UVs it is evident that my learning to modelling ratio is still hovering around 99:1.
Bullet1968; well well a fast moving surveyor in Perth eh? I'm a slow moving retired builder in the same sunny city. G'day mate.
I'm making a sail for an old galleon that will be heading for Christmas Island (that's the Indian Ocean one for you non Aussies), I'll check out the nurb option and convert as you suggest.

Oldblock

# 5 01-08-2010 , 10:58 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL lucky you have retired then mate!!!! Its a complete s...fight in the construction game now! Safety, safety, safety...paperwork etc etc etc. Are you making an animation????

There are 2 ways I would do it mate...either use a nurb and convert to poly OR do a poly then lattice to manipulate. I would just do a poly and move the verts...delete one half..copy in -1 and merge etc etc.

If you do a simple nurb plane and convert to quads poly it should be fine. Im a noob so I might not have it the way you want it. Then again there are a million ways to do it mate.

Yeh back in Perth for the last 6 months. 2 Years in Karratha and Hedland before that...hate the Nwest..with a passion.

Talk again soon

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 01-08-2010 , 11:25 PM
Lifetime Member
here is a 5 min nurb to poly...hope it helps

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 7 10-08-2010 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
Okay, thanks for the useful advice; now to my next problem:
Working on the downloaded 3D model Galleon I'm trying to apply surfaces and textures to parts of the hull but the entire hull seems to be one entity and when I colour one bit it does the entire ship.
How do I break it up into manageable bits?

# 8 10-08-2010 , 04:48 AM
EduSciVis-er
You're talking about texturing the ship? You have a few options, one is to select individual faces (or groups of faces) and apply different textures to these.

However, the proper way to go about it is to UV map the ship. Maya help has a good getting started tut on UV mapping. UV mapping can be tedious, but if you have problems, just ask here for some help.

Hope that helps.

# 9 10-08-2010 , 04:54 AM
Lifetime Member
As stwert says mate....I would personally map the thing...then its done.

heres a freebie...lots of them on the net mate. I would have thought the galleon came with texturing tut??

https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/tu...ing/c/uv-101-1

Otherwise come back here mate....some one always willing to help..thats why its a good site.

cheers bullet

bullet1968