Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 11-07-2003 , 12:18 AM

Help with simple polygon structure

What I'm trying to do is make a realistic model of the gateway arch in St. Louis. I've tried using a poly cube, extruding and wedging faces but my best efforts are misshapen at best. Can anyone recommend an easier/better way of doing this project? Also, is there a way to attach polygon objects to a CV curve?

# 2 11-07-2003 , 12:24 AM
posting a picture would help :thumbsup:

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 3 11-07-2003 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber
OK first off, this is an image of the gateway arch in st.louis user added image.

Second, how i would model this is with a poly cylinder, with 3 sides for the arch. The image i attatched is a good head on image, so you can probably just model off of that as an image plane. If you started off at one bottom.. with maybe 20 spans on your cylinder with 3 sides... then you can slowly rotate each piece and resize so that it makes the arch... this is how i would do it. I wouldnt do it in nurbs because its not sharp enough, and so polygons seem like the best bet user added image. Try to get different views of the gateway arch.. figure out how its built.. dont always just jump into a model. Best of luck though and hopefully it wont take you more than half a hour user added image.

BTW, dont forget.. you only have to model half of it user added image.. the other half can be mirrored over.

Attached Images

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 4 11-07-2003 , 12:47 AM
or instead of moving the verts .....use a bend deformer...should be faster

- TwEeK
# 5 11-07-2003 , 01:59 AM
This architectural information on the arch might help you. According to the article, "Each leg is an equilateral triangle with sides 54 ft. long at ground level, tapering to 17 ft. at the top." Keeping that in mind, you could simply draw an equilateral triangle in the top view then duplicate, translate, and rotate. Just keep duplicating translating and rotating triangles to form one side of the arch. You'll also want to scale the triangles as you get to the apex of the arch. Next, xoft the all the triangles. Finally, mirror the loft and attach both sides. Should work in theory.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 11-07-2003 at 03:02 AM.
# 6 11-07-2003 , 04:03 PM
Subscriber
i would do it in nurbs. create a circle, make it a triangle, animate it, make an animation snapshot and then loft with cubic degree. resulting in the attached file (maya 4.5):

Attached Files
File Type: ma arch.ma (73.4 KB, 180 views)