Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-09-2005 , 06:52 PM

"Check your Definition of ALIAS_WORKENV" ?

I'm evaluating Maya as a 3D Modeling solution for the company I work for. I have a good amount of experience with AutoCAD and in doing research, it appears that I may have an avenue of modeling by importing from a CAD drawing through Alias Studio 12.

I installed Studio 12 only to be met by this error when I tried to open it:

You do not have a user_data directory in:
c:\\[network location]
and do not have permissions to create one
in that directory.
You may not run Studio 12 without a user_data directory.
Check your definition of ALIAS_WORKENV.

I can't even get Studio 12 to open because of this error.

Upon further research on the 'net, I found that it's a setting that I need to set, but don't know where to find it:
"An alternate location for the user folder can be specified
by setting the ALIAS_WORKENV environment
variable. To learn more about setting environment
variables and Alias environment variables, see
Environment Variables in the Technical section of the
online documentation."

Where do I find the online documentation? Is this something that needs to be set within Maya or within Studio 12, or in some other windows environment?

# 2 23-09-2005 , 04:40 AM
could be wanting you to define something in Windows' Environment Variables. Go to Control Panel -> System ->Advanced tab-->click on Environment Variables.

Hopefully you'll find "alias_workenv" in there and can edit it with the info you need to run StudioTools user added image

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 23-09-2005 , 01:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but that isn't it. There isn't anything in there that refers to ALIAS_WORKENV.

# 4 28-09-2005 , 03:36 PM
Okay, I called support and they were very helpful on this matter. It appears that we were on the same page as far as setting up the environment variable, but it simply didn't like the network path. I set the variable to point to the mapped drive and it worked just fine.

Thanks f50 for all your suggestions and help on this matter.

# 5 07-02-2011 , 02:38 PM

jazzchamp..

plz help me...
i would like to know how you resolve that problem ..
because i also face same problem like you for 2009 version...
thanks in advance.. user added image

# 6 29-01-2014 , 11:53 AM

Setting up the environment variable

Although I'm a 3dsMax user and never visit this forum I registered just to post this in case I help anybody with this problem as jazzchamp couldn't care less about telling everybody the solution that was given to him:

1) Start Menu-->Run-->type "env"
2) The "Environment Variables" window opens
3) In my case there was no ALIAS_WORKENV registry. I pressed "Create" and in the "variable name" field I typed ALIAS_WORKENV and in the "Variable value" field I typed C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Alias2014\user_data

That was it for me.user added image