Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-02-2011 , 06:43 PM

February Challenge - Speed Machne - G.Harper

Hi all thought that I might try and give this challenge ago. I ‘am just new to Maya (in the past couple of weeks), but i have had a little dabble in Max many many years ago wile at uni, and thought this could be a good way to get back into the world of 3D.

Anyhow onto the challenge. I haven’t done any designs on paper, I have just created a simple sphere and then basically scaled, moved and extruded.

I guess the design has been styled by the star wars pod racers hopefully mixed with a little bit of the 1950’s style car design. Am not too sure whether it fly’s or is a car, maybes both, who knows? As I say am trying to use this as a way to learn the basic tools of Maya.

This is as far as I have got, I hope that I can start to add detail to it now.

PS: sorry for the texture and lighting, I don’t actually know how to add a texture to the model yet, and the lighting is just a mental ray image based lighting setting.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-02-2011 , 06:56 PM
Well, the design has slight changed from the first image, and is looking a lot more like a car now. Really enjoying Mayauser added image. I still have to model the lights properly, that might be the next bit. anyway here are some pictures. Still not learned how to render yet. Maybe that can be my next challenge after this.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 14-02-2011 , 09:37 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hey Gharper

good start - very retro......

look forward to the rest

Jay

# 4 14-02-2011 , 09:41 PM
Lifetime Member
I agree with Jay mate....looks like a VW on steroids LOL...and with motors like that Im sure it will move along at a rapid rate!! Good luck mate and good start

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 14-02-2011 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
All thats missing is the engine popping though the hood - very nice start