Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-12-2010 , 04:15 PM
Lifetime Member

SMTut Spitfire Bullet

Ok here it is....I have had enough...Im beat. I advance apologise for my shabby work..the texturing was difficult if not downright f*****g painful. Hats off to all those that texture models well....you must have bucketloads of patience.

As most of you will know Im still green...so forgive my shortcomings. I have learnt a lot since I started this project and my next model...if I EVER do another...will be laid out much better then this.

Thanks to Kurt for the learning curve (you can keep the painting bit! LOL) and to SM for the help, all of you guys/girls have been wonderful. I nearly threw in the towel with Maya and Im still not sure I have the patience or skill after this puppy.

Anyway, bottoms up...Im having a quad Bundaberg and Cola (yes sugar for the diabetic..tut tut).

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 28-12-2010 , 06:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

well done. Maya didnt beat you so I wont be having this throwing the towel in business. You did it, thats what counts, so now you know for next time of 'what to do' and 'not what to do'.

yeah texturing is for some and not others, so dont worry, dont expect to be great at everything, its horses for courses and all that. Looking forward to your next piece..

Jay

# 3 28-12-2010 , 07:19 PM
The thin red line
Looks Good Bullet
Your next one will be better................dave

# 4 29-12-2010 , 01:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks guys....I hope so dave.

Yeh Jay, texturing is a pain in the ring...but its something you do need some skill at dont you. Im probably not beat but feel as though I have been hit by a Mack truck at full speed LOL.

I have learned heaps since I first finished the model...in fact for the last day I was adjusting edges..deleting adding etc LOL...its funny how you see stuff.

Im not totally happy but yes I guess its done.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 29-12-2010 , 03:33 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Well Bullet I wouldn't be so hard on your self, just to show things in perspective I have included some work I did back in 2007...and yes this was the best I could do at that time...absolutely horrid.

The only thing your image lacks is specularity and some detailing ( bolted panels) I actually like the darks and lights you have going on there( meaning subtle shadowing near the landing gear).
And it sounds odd, but it is actually a good thing you don't like it that means you've got a sharp eye.
The only thing you've got to learn is the tool in this case Maya/Photoshop/Zbrush.

If you don't get what I mean try to see it like this:
Which constructionworker is more likely to grow in his job:
a- the one who knows how to use a hammer?
or
b- The one that knows how to build a house?

Somewhere in your mind you know that the render you've posted lacks something and honest enough to admit that to yourself, believe it or not but the disgrace of an image you see below was the image of perfection to me 3 years ago...I always get so excited about the stuff I make that I loose objectivity, so believe it or not but I am quite jealous that you stay objective, it sometimes takes me weeks to get an objective image of something I have just done

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 29-12-2010 , 04:13 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks mastone and yes I am construction worker B...I have done everything in my industry LOL....

Yeh I know it could have had way more detail mate for sure..but I just couldnt be f****d LOL. I had SO much trouble with the faces etc..(now I know) and the UV layout. The most trouble I had there was the hidden edges not matching up with the colour on the other portion of wing...ie main wing to elevator and the paint suddenly jumps to the left a metre when it should line up! LOL.

Well your image is what I would have done...but then I dont do organics for that reason...I cant...LOL.

Yeh I didnt do a spec map either mate...I just got so frustrated with the texture part...I couldnt be bothered. I would liked to have added some more details but hey...onward. Dont be jealous mate LOL I am envious of your work and a lot of other people on here dont worry. I know in time it will come...as you know its just a frustration thing.

I try to be objective...Im my own worst critic and I guess in one way its healthy but then again it could be a problem down the road LOL.

Cheers bullet

P.S mastone Indie is a HUGE improvement!!!

bullet1968

# 7 30-12-2010 , 07:41 AM
Nice job bullet.

Would suggest you to work on that 'grey Nurse' logo. Looking blurred. Rest looking good.
Keep it up

Mahesh

# 8 30-12-2010 , 09:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mahesh,

yeh I stuffed it up in PS...dont know what I did wrong.

cheesr bullet

bullet1968

# 9 01-01-2011 , 06:47 AM
SM Tea Boy
Got to say without sugarcoating it's not the best spitfire I've ever seen, but you know what! It's far from the worst and you managed to finish it which already puts you ahead of about 80% of the game.

I'd be happy with it if I was you, it does look like a spitfire and getting your first model done and textured (even if your not completely happy with it) is a huge step. The bloody program did not beat you and it should only get easier from here user added image

Nice job I say
Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 10 01-01-2011 , 07:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks David...yeh I guess I could have worked more on it...but I was over mate....I have learned a s**tload doing it and will well and truly look at my next own model in different view! I have the HK25 in here and I will be doing that with a little more respect and knoweldge...more so as the only ref I had was my imagination LOL.

I will also apply the 'machine' flow a little better as I would seriously like to delete and redo the Lancaster I started. That is a plane I want to get around to again...I said I would do it and I would still like to, in memory of my Grandad and his mates that came from Australia and went to England to fight.

I do hope it does get easier LOL!

cheers Ant

bullet1968

# 11 27-02-2011 , 05:41 AM
Subscriber
Bullet...you are nothing if not a fighter!

I have come through simillar, and a lot more of my models are languishing on my hard drive unfinished, so very well done.

I would like to bet in a few months a couple of models down the line you go back and build your own spitfire TUT free like i did, its a rite of passage, equivelant to building your own light sabre!user added image

free memory low..exception thrown
# 12 27-02-2011 , 06:01 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks paldav....really means a lot to me.....LOL funny you say that..I have already starting building her from scratch...I have the fuselage done already (blockout) and started the wings. Yeh it is light a light sabre isnt it...I think you HAVE to go back and redo some things...just for pique...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 13 28-02-2011 , 03:14 PM
Respect my friend! A job very well done. Though you say that you had a hard time with the textures, It looks great i must say!

# 14 28-02-2011 , 09:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate...yeh I had a real hard time but I learnt heaps...version 2 will be a lot better...now I just have to find the time to do it LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968