Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-03-2011 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber

My Still Life Project

This was my 2nd modeling project at Uni using maya, we had to choose 3 non organic and 2 organic objects to model and texture, all textures I have created myself except for the background image which I only manipulated the colour. But overall quite happy with the glass and the bottle of wine and cheese, I think I need to work more on the textures for the grapes though.

Still Life Project on Vimeo

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-03-2011 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
if this is finished, why do you want to still work on it? the grapes look fine the way they are - only thing is they look like they are still together, but i cannot see any stems or branches. to make this still life more realistic maybe you should add some wine to the bottle and the glass - they are both empty, but the cheese is partially eaten. you used raytracing for the glass, right? why not do the shadows raytraced as well? the shadow from the glass should be lighter and the bottle one should be tinted a bit.

cheers,
duckie

# 3 14-03-2011 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
It is finished as far as the project for Uni, probably should have posted it in WIP, I did try raytrace shadows but it made the glass loose it's transparency for some reason, and I wanted to achieve the best glass effect as I could so I ended up using depthmap shadows, also I did think about adding liquid but I didn't know how to as I have only been using maya for 3 months when I modeled this, a project for the summer I think, thanks BDuck for the feed back

# 4 14-03-2011 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
you are welcome. for only using maya for 3 months it does look great user added image

as for the shadows - check out rendering in layers and have a shadow pass seperate. and then combine everything in post.

im pretty sure you guys will do post production in your course later on (i sure hope so).

cheers,
duckie