Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-02-2003 , 04:51 PM

help please: Using alpha channels

Hi guys, i need to create a series of bloody streaks on some metal for a project I'm on. So far I have made a blood texture and I have the metal one ok. I want to do it with a layered texture so that I can have the metal underneath with the scratches and bloody streaks on top.

I'm using photoshop and I am assuming I need to use an alpha channel to allow only the streaks to be seen and so I need the rest of the image to be transparent.

How on earth can I do this?

Thanks in advance for the help

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 2 28-02-2003 , 04:55 PM
Here is an idea. Completely delete everything in Photoshop besides the blood. So that all you see is the checkers behind the blood, know what I mean? Then save it as a Targa, and make it 32 bit. When you import it into Maya, the Alpha should theoretically be automatic, and you should just see the blood with everything else transparent. Try it out, I think it works. Let me know. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 28-02-2003 , 05:51 PM
thanks for the reply, I actually got it to work now. I basically made a separate alpha map and used that as a transparency map on the blood shader in maya and then layered it on and it seems to work quite well

IMDB
# 4 28-02-2003 , 05:53 PM
Looks good!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 28-02-2003 , 06:14 PM
thanks user added image