Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-10-2011 , 03:34 PM

Maya - Mudbox

It has taken quite a while but I have finally decided to dip my toe into the digital sculpting pond after an enquiry by a client.

I do have drawing skill as my background was graphic design before succumbing to 3D but I have never sculpted anything in either traditional clay or digitally.

I'm evaluating Mudbox and ZBrush trials to see which suite me better. Mudbox UI is far easier to navigate but I can see that ZBrush is very powerful.

Anyway here is my very first WIP of a bust, base geo created in Maya then over to Mudbox.

As always your comments and crits are most welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by clearairstudios; 10-10-2011 at 07:31 AM.
# 2 09-10-2011 , 05:45 PM
The thin red line
Looking good for a first try, I switched from zbrush to mudbox. I would say zbrush is better at sculpting (im not that good at sculpting) mudbox I think is better for texturing...........dave

# 3 10-10-2011 , 01:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah, its always swings and roundabouts.

Firstly the problem is, people like mudbox because its like maya and everyone is shit scared of the Zbrush interface because it isnt - period. Zbrush just thinks a little different but fact is its all there in front of you, just look and you will find. Texture wise, mudbox is very good where as Zbrush still falls over at importing 32bit textures -export is fine, but I will say Pixologic have vastly improved the texturing too with the introduction of spotlight. Zbrush's sculpting tools will wipe the floor with Mudbox -thats a pretty much known fact -displacement map extraction is better as is Normal Map generating in Zbrush, though earlier versions with codes was an absolute ass. Mudbox however has a thing called Vector Displacement maps, a cross between normal and dis maps - they look impressive but I have yet to use them.

at the end of the day its horses for courses and what works best for you as an artist

And oh yeah I nearly forgot....Zbrush's new dynamesh -hahahahahaha Amazingly fast and furious, pull your mesh out in strands and reattach to the mesh into a single click....jeeez I love it

Jay

# 4 11-10-2011 , 01:30 PM
More work on my first sculpt using Mudbox.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 11-10-2011 , 01:34 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Good, its getting there, reminds me of the GI character tutorial I made for the site

Jay

# 6 11-10-2011 , 02:06 PM

Good, its getting there, reminds me of the GI character tutorial I made for the site

Jay

Thanks Jay,

It's been enjoyable, totally different way of working though.

Trying out ZBrush next.

Regards

Gary

# 7 12-10-2011 , 06:55 PM
The rough character for the client has gone down well. Mudbox did the trick so it looks like that is going to be the choice for now. This was modeled in without symmetry as the client just had a cartoon sketch, made it a bit harder but pleased with result.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 13-10-2011 , 01:40 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Mudbox... ughhh! user added image

Just messin'. Your latest cartoon head is looking very cool. Sculpting asymmetrically can be a challenge but the results are often very nice.

user added image ZBRUSH! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 9 13-10-2011 , 01:59 PM
moved to own post

Last edited by clearairstudios; 14-10-2011 at 08:00 AM.
# 10 13-10-2011 , 06:17 PM
moved to own post

Last edited by clearairstudios; 14-10-2011 at 08:00 AM.