Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-03-2005 , 08:06 PM

getting started: modelling cars

hi!
im quite a noob when it comes to maya but we have all got to start somewhere right?!? for my first project i intend to model an audi tt and i have read several different tutorials on how to model it. I am aware that it is down to preferance the way in which you model, so i was wondering what is your preffered method when it comes to modelling a car???

thanks for your time!
acute

Last edited by acute; 30-03-2005 at 08:08 PM.
# 2 30-03-2005 , 09:28 PM
I prefer poly modeling, and pretty much poly-by-poly, not using any special tools or box modeling (fanciest I get is using extrude tools).

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 30-03-2005 , 09:36 PM
yeh thats how ive started my tt. iv created the shape but im a bit be-whilldered*? by the detail that needs to be applied to the car!!

# 4 30-03-2005 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber
when i first modelled a car i used polygons, but the end result was abit poor. so i turned to nurbs... and it gave me really good results (lot of modelling time though!)

but for a car i prefer to work with Nurbs - mainly using a series of curves and working from there, that way you have the freedom of working with all the nurbs tools to create a really sharp model.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 5 02-04-2005 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber
Hey acute

When I model cars I start out with polys then convert to sub d's
Watch out for Simply Maya's upcoming Car creation Tutorial

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 03-04-2005 , 01:24 PM
shes a beauty lol ill post my attempt at a tt when its finnished if your interested?