Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-08-2006 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber

Black texture?

I was modeling the headlight section of the Ferarri tutorial and it seemed to have turned black and I can't change the texture or color. Can nyone help?

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 22-08-2006 , 12:17 AM
can you show us the attribute editor tab for that material?

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 22-08-2006 , 01:52 AM
Subscriber
maybe the normals are the wrong way

------------------- WIP ------------------

--------------- Finished Work -------------
Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 4 22-08-2006 , 06:28 AM
Subscriber
Good morning. Joopson funny thing is I had not assigned a material to it when it changed. I only attempted to add material to try and correct the black. As you see I have assigned just a plain Lambert to it.

Redmer, I had thought of the Normal's being reversed. I have tried CONFORM, AVERAGE, and SET TO FACE. When I did a conform I could see that all of the faces were highlighted in red, and top of the black. But nothing seems to change the color of it.

Thank you both for your responses. I had saved my project before attempting the headlight part and if I can't figure it out, I can do the light once again. But would be nice if I didn't have to.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 22-08-2006 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
Try Normals>Reverse

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 6 22-08-2006 , 07:09 AM
Subscriber
j5ive, yes I tried that also. And again the faces get highlighted, but the color is not effected. Thanks!!

# 7 22-08-2006 , 07:25 AM
Subscriber
Well went to the backup of the lesson and tried it again. It appears that it starts at this point to change the color and as I snap vertices to the fender it seems that is where the color changes. Any thoughts would be appreciated, or I can let you look at the file. Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 22-08-2006 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber
Check if you have duplicate faces in there some how, other than that I'm stumped at the minute

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 9 22-08-2006 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I have checked that also. I will try and rebuild it once again and see if that helps. I will just move on to the next part and hope someone has seen this before. Thanks again!!

# 10 22-08-2006 , 09:27 AM
I am pretty sure I have had the same problem a couple of times before. I think I just ended up reopening the project. Have you tried assigning a new shader to the piece or checking out the attributes of the shader that is already attached? I have a feeling that this happens when you combine and connect a new piece of geometry to a piece that already has a shader assigned to it. Not sure though, so I may be way off the mark.

# 11 22-08-2006 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber
dude i had the exact same problem
i fixed it by doing FT (Freeze Transforations) an it went from black to default lambert
i didnt need to reemake it

hope this helps

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 12 22-08-2006 , 11:25 AM
Subscriber
Arran, being an old hippie I like your profile picture. They brought alot of laughs. I have tried the shaders and the black I see is not affect by shaders. It appears like kind of a stretching thing, but don't think it is that. We create a plane from a picutre of the light and then move the points. Kind of like face and body type of 3d layout, if that makes sense. I am stumped and pbman I did try the FT and it didn't help, thanks. I have taken the template we crated and have used it and Boolean on a fresh plane and it seem to have created another template for me from a fresh plane and not one from extrusions. I will try that.

I, again, hope this all has made some sense.

Thanks again!!!

# 13 22-08-2006 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
Well it appears that using the Boolean to recreate the template on a fresh pane, and not from a template that had been extruded, solved the problem. And I didn't need to rebuild it. Certinaly seems that using Booleans could have alot of worth. But still learning and having fun.

Thanks everyone for your efforts and thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 22-08-2006 , 01:46 PM
'Mostly Maui Waui man, but it's got some Labrador in it....'

Not sure if I totally understood how you fixed it, but I am glad you managed to sort it out.user added image

Keep us posted on your project mate.

# 15 22-08-2006 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
But need to watch for the 'Paraquat', as it can be bad!!! ;-) Some said it was a plot!!! HaHaHa!!

Have a good one and now that I have my light fixed, can sub-d and then I will post a wip.