Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-10-2006 , 05:32 AM
Subscriber

Tiger

This is my newest project. I've spent a few weeks getting reference and studying cat anatomy. Anyway more updates to come. I am getting maya unlimited so Eventually I'll even put fur on after I rig him.

Let me know what you think

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-10-2006 , 07:42 AM
cool! nice start mate!user added image

# 3 30-10-2006 , 08:29 AM
Subscriber
I'm not sure if the back paws are going to work in terms of topology.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-10-2006 , 12:02 PM
Looks a sweeet start man!

Have to see how te paws go, there might be a bit of "pinching" at the front area where it bends, but I guess you'll have to wait and see.

You could open it in a new scene, delete everything apart from one rear, quicky rig it then give it a go.

Have you seen the special features on The Lion the witch and the Wardrobe?? They go over Aslan and I think they show the topology and the animation for the walk cycle might give you some ideas etc on your project.

PS Where did you get your references from, they look really good and I wouldent mind giving an animal a go sometime in the furture.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 30-10-2006 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
Yeah I did see those special features recently and it gave me a few ideas. I'm really trying to get the topology to flow with the muscles so I can get nice deformation later. Anyway the reference is from some art anatomy books I just bought. They have skin muscle and bone reference. If you have a particular animal in mind, let me know and I can send you those image via e-mail.

Take care.

# 6 30-10-2006 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber
I'm going to model the paws seperatly and attache them later.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 30-10-2006 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber
the anatomy looks really accurate.
nice.
except in the back legs and front they seem a little flat.
i guess you can add volume when u sculpt

are you going to sculpt it in a sculpting app?

Last edited by vladimirjp; 30-10-2006 at 10:41 PM.
# 8 31-10-2006 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
Yeah I'll fill a lot in as I refine it. The weird thing about tigers is how flat they are. Their waiste and butts are very narrow but tall. I am planning to do all the modeling in maya and just continue to add detail via edge loops, vertex manipulation and sculp geometry tool. After i rig it I will have it drivve either a polygon smooth proxy cage or subdivision. Probally Poly smooth because it looks almost the same and is much faster.

# 9 31-10-2006 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
this is looking realy good, I love tigersuser added image

# 10 31-10-2006 , 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Wishbonekenobi
Yeah I did see those special features recently and it gave me a few ideas. I'm really trying to get the topology to flow with the muscles so I can get nice deformation later. Anyway the reference is from some art anatomy books I just bought. They have skin muscle and bone reference. If you have a particular animal in mind, let me know and I can send you those image via e-mail.

Take care.

Cheers mate, I was thinking of a Lion if your book has any front and side images? that Would be cool!

P.S What book is it as i might have a look at getting a copy.

cheers

# 11 31-10-2006 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
Yeah I actually have a ton of lion references. I can scan them later today if you want me to e-mail them to you. The book is called Cyclopedia Anatomicae. It is a huge reference and it only cost 30 bucks. Anyway let me know. I'll be home in a couple hours.

# 12 31-10-2006 , 03:18 PM
Yeah man, if you dont mind!

Cheers

Steve

# 13 31-10-2006 , 03:27 PM
Subscriber
looking good so far. the reference pics you are using are very nice.

Only comment is that the topology seems to be a bit too dense in some areas, like the neck. I would keep it as light as possible for as long as possible where you can.

# 14 31-10-2006 , 05:41 PM
Subscriber
Very true. Once I get it how I want I'll go through and even out the topology before i subdivide it.

# 15 31-10-2006 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
gster123, I sent you a PM but I didn't know if you would check it. Anyway PM me an e-mial adress I can send the scans to I just finished them.