Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-11-2007 , 09:26 PM

Rigid/Smooth Bind

Hello mates! Another one from me..
Here's the deal:
I did a tutorial were an organic(humanoid) model uses a smooth bind for skinning;
Now I've created a robot and asked myself if rigid bind is more apropriate for this kind of model but since I have no idea what it does and only used the smooth bind on the tut, i'm kind of scared using it.
The bottom line: What's the difference betwen rigid/smooth bind. (is it how it affects the weights on the geometry?)

Thanks in advance!

!
# 2 07-11-2007 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
Basically the difference between the two is that a rigid bind means the mesh/skin is only effected by one joint. In the case of your robot, rigid binding may be the way to go as you probably only want limited mesh movement.

CHris

# 3 07-11-2007 , 09:40 PM
yup! limited mesh movement that's what I want!:blush:

Thanks alot for the quick reply!
Cheers!

!