Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-01-2008 , 05:12 PM

Hardware recomendations

Appologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm looking to get a new system but i'm having a really tough time choosing my options!

I've got £1500 (ex VAT) to play with.

Do i either:

a) Buy a new Mac Pro with 2GB, upgrade the Video card to an 8800GT, downgrade the processor to a single 2.8GHz Xeon Quad core chip and buy an extra 750GB (a 250 and a 500) HDDs and one 20" monitor

b) Build myself a Core 2 Quad Q6600 overclocked machine with 8GB of RAM, 8800GT, 1TB of storage and two 20" monitors. And have a bit of money left over.

I run Maya a bit of CS3 and edit on Final Cut atm.

What would you guys do in my position?

# 2 13-01-2008 , 06:42 PM
Jr.Who
With the software you're using, definitely the Mac Pro. user added image

# 3 13-01-2008 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
Gotta go with the Mac Pro also, man I wish I could afford a new workstation lol!

Chris

# 4 13-01-2008 , 07:08 PM
Jr.Who
BTW, it's not only for the software, but for the OS. My sister just recently got a computer with Vista on it, and I have to say that it is much more disappointing than I thought. It's nothing compared to Leopard.

If you do get the Mac Pro, make sure you get an external HD for TM. I got a 1 TB external for under $200 (around £100), so it won't kill your wallet and it saves you a lot of time.

# 5 13-01-2008 , 07:20 PM
If your using final cut then get the mac, otherwise I would get the PC, more upgradable, more flexable, and hands down more RAM and you'll get a faster clock speed if you overclock.

And I also wouldent get an external HDD unless it was for back up.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 13-01-2008 , 07:22 PM
Jr.Who

# 7 13-01-2008 , 07:46 PM
i feel mac pro is the way to go (hey, i'm a poet and i didn't know it!) (beginning to sound like a dr seuss book now)

I expect i will go that way - i have an old ibook G4 i can sell for about £300 to help out.

I'm thinking i'm going to go for the single chip xeon though. I do mostly modelling (environmnet and set design) so i don't really need the polygon crushing power that say a character animator needs. Also don't need more than 2GB RAM for that at this stage do i? As i do more and more work i might be bumping up to 6GB or so.

# 8 13-01-2008 , 07:53 PM

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 13-01-2008 , 07:55 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Just set up a raid system....

And that would cost under $200 and have the same eye candy?

# 10 13-01-2008 , 07:57 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Personally i would say the pc cause you dont really need the mac
with pc's you get more for your money
but vista isnt great i have to admit but the question is do u want all those extra mac features?

# 11 13-01-2008 , 08:34 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by elephantinc
with pc's you get more for your money
but vista isnt great i have to admit but the question is do u want all those extra mac features?

Besides the point that with the Mac you get the security, ease of use, and speed?

# 12 13-01-2008 , 08:41 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

# 13 13-01-2008 , 08:56 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by elephantinc
i suppose but vista is supposed to be more suv=cure and user friendly than its predacesser

But we're comparing OS X to Windows, not Windows Vista to Windows XP.

Also, if you really do need it, you can always run Windows on a Mac. :eek3:

# 14 13-01-2008 , 09:25 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
well its up too you just warch the video and see what you want to do
i know what id do...

# 15 13-01-2008 , 09:28 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I'm a big PC/Windows guy myself, but with Windows recent release of Vista (which i hate more than i could ever explain)... i mean it's Buggy, and slow... and, well it's basically a bloated memory Hog!

I brought it.... tried it.... Got rid of it.... and re-installed XP!!! All in 3 days.

But, Other than Vista... Windows is great. It's very solid, and the best part is (as i like to build my own systems) i can upgrade when the need be... i can fix it when theres a Problem... i can interchange different parts.... and pretty much do anything else with it i like... and it will always be there... just as stable as alway (excluding Vista user added image )

I did consider getting a Mac, but if anything happens.... you can't go down to the local computer fair and pick up a couple of new Memory chips, or anything else for that matter!!! If you want to upgrade your machine... it's not as simple as new chips... new Sticks, and your good to go!!! But rather you have to buy a totally new system... or send it to Apple so they can do all the necessary repairs, and/or upgrades.

But, given all this Mac's still have they're advantages.... Such as Security, and the fact you don't have to worry near as much about viruses. Plus as Jr Who mentioned, you can set up a Boot Camp, that will allow you to Operate Windows, on your Mac.

But all that aside it's really up to the person, and their needs.

I've weighed the Pros and Cons, and I'm sticking with PC!!!

Though i wouldn't mind picking up a Mac.... just to have that option.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"