Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 21-03-2008 , 04:48 AM
A static pic isnt a reflection, its a texture, so that dosent really count.

Theres a lot of work going on with realtime raytracing GI and caustics etc at the moment, so it might start to filter through into games when its done, in fact I think a lot of the reflections are using newer raytracing techniques so I suppose its just programmers getting used to the implementation of it all.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 21-03-2008 , 05:54 AM
But for practical purposes, it is. Real reflections for something static is kind of pointless cause it wastes power.

Personally, I think they should just stick more powerful hardware into it, like massive parallel machines. It'll just work itself out that way.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 18 21-03-2008 , 12:39 PM
i wasnt a fan of Bioshock. I just didnt like the whole premise and found it overly predictable, but as far as art/game design goes i found it too cliche in a lot of ways that are outdated.

shinyness in games has been getting rediculous for a while. sometimes it makes sense a lot of times it just does not. Ill give some examples like a racing game, Having the cars be overly right-off-the-showroom floor shiny is okay in that type of game ide assume. Like Forza 2 and other racers. Having the ROAD be shiny... not needed.

the worst culprit ive ever seen in the game Marvel Ultimate Alliance for X-Box 360, Every person in that game was highly detailed but SHINY. to the point of glowing it was bad. Especially those that shouldnt be that shiny like iron man(who doesnt have a reflective costume), its okay if maybe iron man had a little more shine but captain america? moon night? they almost glowed it was bad. Especially in the cut scenes.

Aright my little rant is done.

# 19 21-03-2008 , 10:27 PM

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
i wasnt a fan of Bioshock. I just didnt like the whole premise and found it overly predictable, but as far as art/game design goes i found it too cliche in a lot of ways that are outdated.

shinyness in games has been getting rediculous for a while. sometimes it makes sense a lot of times it just does not. Ill give some examples like a racing game, Having the cars be overly right-off-the-showroom floor shiny is okay in that type of game ide assume. Like Forza 2 and other racers. Having the ROAD be shiny... not needed.

the worst culprit ive ever seen in the game Marvel Ultimate Alliance for X-Box 360, Every person in that game was highly detailed but SHINY. to the point of glowing it was bad. Especially those that shouldnt be that shiny like iron man(who doesnt have a reflective costume), its okay if maybe iron man had a little more shine but captain america? moon night? they almost glowed it was bad. Especially in the cut scenes.

Aright my little rant is done.

Yes, but are roads not shiny? Near my place where there is a road with very heavy traffic, and where the wheels have gone over, the asphalt has been polished. If they did that, then the game would be a whole more realistic and I would applaud their attention to detail, but if the whole road was glowing then that's a bit overdone.

# 20 21-03-2008 , 11:04 PM
roads shiny/reflective in the rain, sure. normally? nah.

i totally agree with the marvel ultimate alliance thing... they look like they're either all sopping wet with slime or made out of metal.

Accept no substitutions.
# 21 21-03-2008 , 11:14 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
roads shiny/reflective in the rain, sure. normally? nah.

What about mirages? You sometimes get them on the road, makes them look like water cause they shimmer and reflect the sky. Before someone says it, I'm not stuck in the middle of a desert. user added image

# 22 21-03-2008 , 11:23 PM
true, because of the heatwaves coming off the street, but that's usually only at portions of the street that are perpendicular from your range of site - not the whole street as i imagine they're talking about

Accept no substitutions.
# 23 21-03-2008 , 11:39 PM
True. But I guess that its more complex than that. The gravel in the road surface is reflective at certain angles depending on the source of the light. It can be noticable at night if illuminated in a certain way.

# 24 22-03-2008 , 06:32 AM
Its called the Fresnell Effect, you see it on a hell of a lot of materials and it takes quite a bit of calculation.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle