Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-07-2008 , 04:08 AM

Camera's

Anyone know where I can get a good free tutorial on using Camera's in Maya?

Thanks Much

GameSeeker

# 2 07-07-2008 , 04:57 AM
Subscriber
I have looked for a cam tut before but never really found to much tbh, if you check the help files it gives you some info. Its fairly straight forward really, just make a camera from the 'create' menu and then you can set all its translates, rotates, etc in channel box like you would any other item, if you select it and go into 'panel' > 'look through selected' once you have selected the cam you can see through its view. Check the help files for stuff like tracks.

Chris

# 3 07-07-2008 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
what sort of things are you wanting to do with the camera?

as far as i can tell the camera is just another object, but it doesn't get shaded and has no materials and doesn't really do anything other than give you a view....

ok so maybe its a bit different to other objects

but i'm sure you can constraint a camera to paths and stuff, so if you're wanting funky paths with your camera you would do the same thing you do in one of the first animation tutorials that come with Maya (the one where you have the jet flying on a path, but instead of ajet you'd have the camera)

if you're looking for more than that then.... i dunno... what are you looking for?

# 4 07-07-2008 , 02:00 PM
Well I want to do a shall we say (Flybye/Fly through of my model. Like circling around it or moving through it. ect that kind of thing.

# 5 07-07-2008 , 02:01 PM

Originally posted by bendingiscool
I have looked for a cam tut before but never really found to much tbh, if you check the help files it gives you some info. Its fairly straight forward really, just make a camera from the 'create' menu and then you can set all its translates, rotates, etc in channel box like you would any other item, if you select it and go into 'panel' > 'look through selected' once you have selected the cam you can see through its view. Check the help files for stuff like tracks.

Chris

I'll take a look see, thanks Cris.

GameSeeker

# 6 07-07-2008 , 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
You could try putting it on a motion path and aim contraining it to a static/animated locator.

- Genny
# 7 07-07-2008 , 04:16 PM
How do I go about doing that?

# 8 07-07-2008 , 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Actually that could be a rather long explanation depending on what it is that you're trying to do. A simple "camera following a path" setup would be to create a 'camera and aim', draw a curve to be your path, create 2 locators, parent the camera to one of them (lets say thats locator 1), and point contrain/or parent the camera's aim to the other(locator 2). You can see all this in the Outliner window, when you're done with the parenting you can just drop all that stuff back under the camera group if the group gets all broken up. Select locator 1 and then select the curve, go to Animate>Motion Paths>Attach to motion path. You may need to tweak the attributes. Locator 2 is what you use to aim the camera, you can animate this or get crazy and attach that to a motion path too /shrug. If you're going to get into all that I suggest you check out making a 'camera aim and up' and check into how that and keying motion paths and just generally how they work.

- Genny
# 9 09-07-2008 , 07:18 PM
you shouldn't need to parent or constrain the camera or its aim to anything... you should just be able to attach the camera to the motion path and move/key the aim - as long as you go down one step in the hierarchy to make sure you're not attaching the whole camera group (camera AND aim) to the curve...

Accept no substitutions.