Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-03-2012 , 09:14 AM

a small abandoned room

Hi!
I am working in maya and am trying to make a small 3d environment, a small abandoned room to learn texturing and lighting, both I find very difficult. So basically I started from here,

user added image

I tried to make a little composition, and employed stained glass for this. (I have yet to do mirrors, this image is for checking)

Then on 2nd day I improved it to this...

user added image

I am doing lighting and texturing more or less together. I get carried away while working on both sides. user added image
It was not looking realistic at all, I thought it was giving a cartoony/gamey look, so I tried to improve on it and ended with this so far.

user added image

I have yet to complete my texturing, I have no experience in environments making and its more or less my first go.
Any help would be appreciated mainly whether I am heading toward a right direction or not, and what more should I do to make it look better! user added image user added image

Last edited by Zainab07; 03-03-2012 at 04:00 PM.
# 2 03-03-2012 , 09:36 AM
The thin red line
The two things you need to fix first is the glass just does not look right, have a look at some real droken windows. The second thing is the chair, new chair in old room does not look right also about the chair it has to straight edges needs some bevels. I do like your textures.............dave

# 3 03-03-2012 , 10:06 AM
thanks Dave! I'll be posting updates here time and again, I'd appreciate if you keep checking it too user added image
thanks for liking textures, would work on glass and its textures today. About chair, I was thinking of breaking it first but then I saw some old chairs in my store and they had rough wood but mainly they were in tact. I think if these are of metal, the breaking chances are more but with wood, these are lesser. It is just my observation. user added image

and oh what about lighting? user added image

# 4 03-03-2012 , 10:20 AM
The thin red line
I think fix those first because they are a distraction, once they are done then we can look at the lightinguser added image..........dave

# 5 03-03-2012 , 03:30 PM
You might even try reducing the color saturation of the wood textures on the ceiling. Sometimes, you can make an image look more real by reducing saturation a little, but not too much as you don't want to make it looked washed out.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 03-03-2012 , 03:46 PM
thanks for reply, sure that was bothering me too, I'll try to make it less saturate! but its a dark wood, if I lower the saturation, brown would start going toward greyish brown thing, If I am seeing it right!

# 7 04-03-2012 , 04:45 PM

Update:

Yesterday I worked on window mirrors and made them like this.

user added image

I actually liked them for a while but then I thought they were so stylized, (its hard to be cruel on oneself), they are not realistic at all. So despite spending hours on them yesterday, today I did them again and here is the 2nd attempt!

user added image

Much better right? The thing is after seeing so maannnnnny windows I realized most of them were taken from outside, I am working on indoor with a total white outdoor so light intensity should be a lot more than normal and in normal circumstances you should not be able to see any mirror at all, but I wanted to show dirt etc. So so far I am happy with them. Are they good? what do you think?user added image

# 8 05-03-2012 , 10:35 PM
The thin red line
did you changed how you upload your pictures all I can get is a thumb nail pic witch I cannot see the detail of.............dave

# 9 08-03-2012 , 10:10 AM
Hi!
Changed quite a bit of almost everything! Here is the worked on version! user added image

havnt worked on the chair yet. I still have to model debris etc on the corner!

Attached Thumbnails