Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-01-2017 , 05:40 PM

render only visible part of an object Arnold Maya 2017

Hi,
imagine a fountain, there is the fountain body, and water coming out and flowing down.
I have water mesh in RealFlow, imported in Maya
Assuming I have to render the fountain in E-on vue and the water in Maya2017 (Arnold),
What shader should I apply to the fountain in Maya so when I render the water alone, I only see the visible parts of water in the scene, and not the whole mesh I got from realflow?

I tried "background shader" to the fountain, didn't work.
Please see in attachment the view port, and the incorrect render

What shader do I have to apply to the 4 fountains (kind of fountains) to block the water mesh part they are supposed to hide in the render?

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-01-2017 , 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
There's a "Matte" section listed on the top of Arnold shader's attributes that allow for this. However, any object using that shader will still be visible in reflections/refractions etc. The "Matte" option in the Arnold subsection of the object's shape tab does the same thing except of course on a per object basis. There is also a "visible in glossy" checkbox to omit the object from reflections/refractions.

- Genny