Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-07-2005 , 06:45 PM

Merge Verticies and normals problem

Hi
Im relativly new to maya but i have done enough tutroials for good fundamentals. I am working on my first character without using a tutorial and my method was to use the ref images to create the nurbs curves, use boundary to create the surfaces and then convert that to poly (without sculpting or attatching surfaces) and then merge the verticies to create the head and add a bit of detail as a poly, that way i can export it as an obj*?? so that it can be opened in z brush and worked on there to add further detail. Unfortunatly i have fallen at, not the first id say about fifth hurdle. For some reason maya will not let me merge the verticies once it is converted to poly and if i click drag my mouse over the selection of verticies (one on one poly plane and another on a seperate poly plane) it will only highlight one. I think its a problem with the normals or the direction of the surfaces but i am not so knowledgeable about those subjects. If anyone can help please do i want to get this baby into zbrush soon as poss and post a dope model!!
thanks

# 2 13-07-2005 , 11:14 AM
Subscriber
If you have two vertex you want to merge to one:
just select one of the vertex, move it somewhere out of the way, hold down crtl+v and snap it to the other vertex(hopefully still in the original/desired position), then merge the two vertex together.
Its not wise to try and merge three or more vertex at the same time, just try do it two at a time and make sure its right.

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 13-07-2005 , 11:35 AM
read the post, you completely missunderstood what im saying.

# 4 13-07-2005 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber
sorry - i hope this is what you mean
--
you can combine the two poly planes to 1 object then the merge vertex will work
(Polygons--> Combine)

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 5 13-07-2005 , 11:58 AM
thanks for the help worked it out just before i recieved the email notification. Thanks though