Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-03-2007 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber

Rhetoric Camel - March/April

Alright, I'm going to have a shot at this competition, I don't know if I'll be starting it tonight or tomorrow, but I have a really bad sketch drawn up (I can't draw anymore). So here's my idea. It uses wind and steam power. Kind of reminds me of a final fantasy type ship. Would love to look at some FF ships for references or ideas to add to this one but I can't seem to find any.

https://img68.imageshack.us/img68/345...ircraftdh3.jpg

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 17-03-2007 at 12:18 AM.
# 2 18-03-2007 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber

# 3 18-03-2007 , 07:42 PM
Subscriber
# 4 18-03-2007 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
Alright I got the body of the ant completed and I took a look at the wasp beeing done in one of the other threads and they look to similar, I didn't want to be basically doing a land insect that looks exactly like the flying insect beeing done already. So I went back to my original sketch of the flying ship.

I've gotten this far with the ship and I have no idea how to go about creating the propellers or rope. I tried the CV Curve tool but I don't really know how to use it. Any help/tips would be great.

https://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4...kship01iw9.jpg

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 18-03-2007 at 11:03 PM.
# 5 19-03-2007 , 03:42 AM
Lifetime Member
hey RC, if you want to make an ant go ahead..

or maybe an ant airship user added image

What do you want to know about the CV curve tool?
It basically allows you to draw a curve by placing down cv points,a bit like connect the dots.
If you make an object live you can draw your curve to the profile of that object if know what I mean or to explain it another way the object becomes your canvas.
What you do with the curve is up to you , you could duplicate it and loft between them to create a surface or you could you another peice of geometry to to extrude along it ,you could use it as a path or you could do a revolve around it ect ect.

# 6 19-03-2007 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
hey thanks for the reply, I'm gonna stick with the airship, I've got a few little ideas for it where the ant would have ended up looking exactly like the wasp only without wings, theres no fun in that.

I get the cv curve tool now, I'll see what I can do with it.

# 7 19-03-2007 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber

# 8 19-03-2007 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
last bit before I go to bed

Added some propellers and had a hell of a time combining the helicoptor like propeller on the top to make it all one object, but finally got it (didn't make the back propeller one object yet, thats for tomorrow). Made it so it's not the default lighting. Tweeked a few little things here and there. Hope you like the current progress.
C&C are always welcome

https://img485.imageshack.us/img485/3...kship04ts1.jpg

well I need some sleep gotta wake up early for work tomorrow.