Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-02-2013 , 08:13 PM

Bump Map not working correctly

Hello,

I have an odd issue that I haven't been able to figure out and troubleshoot. When I duplicate special a piece of geometry, freeze transforms and then reverse normals so they're all pointing out from the geometry I get a reversal of the bump which can only be fixed by reversing the normals so they're inside out again. So up facing bumps go in and down facing bumps go up. I think I might be missing a step in there but I'm not sure what's going on. I'd like to figure this out so I can save myself some time in the future.

Thanks

Itzat

# 2 19-02-2013 , 08:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
Are you applying the texture before you duplicate it? Try applying the texture afterwards.

# 3 19-02-2013 , 08:53 PM
I will create one piece (ex. a wing) then lay out the CV's then I duplicate special, freeze, then move the CV's over in the editor window. After that I'll create and apply the bump map and texture.

# 4 19-02-2013 , 09:01 PM
EduSciVis-er
You mean UVs? You might have to flip the UVs for the duplicated geometry. Turn on color shading for the UVs and make sure one set isn't red (should be blue).